If you or your child needs an MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) scan, you want to know that the procedure is safe. MRI continues to be a common diagnostic tool used in many therapeutic areas.1,2
Recipients of the current generations of Cochlear Nucleus® Implants, Cochlear Baha® Implants and Cochlear Osia® Implants can get an MRI. If your doctor has recommended an MRI scan please review the information below as conditions may differ depending on the type of implant you have. For a complete set of instructions on performing an MRI scan safely, refer to the MRI Guidelines for your country.*
MRI for Cochlear™ Nucleus® Systems
All manufacturers' cochlear implants are approved as "MRI Conditional" because of the internal magnet. This means there are certain instructions that must be followed to ensure a safe MRI scan.1-3 For decades, Cochlear has designed Nucleus Implants for MRIs with accessible magnets. In some cases where a MRI of the head or neck is needed, it is possible that the magnet may need to be removed to avoid compromising the image.
Cochlear Nucleus Profile Plus, the latest implant offering, provides access to MRI at 1.5T and 3.0T with magnet in place. The Profile and CI24RE implants are approved for MRI scans 1.5T and 3.0T with the magnet surgically removed. Older implant generations have varying MRI access based on the specific implant type.
As a cochlear implant recipient, there are specific steps that need to be taken if a MRI is required. The steps are as follows:
- Ensure your radiology center is aware that you have a cochlear implant(s) and certain conditions need to be met for successful scans.
- To obtain a successful MRI, the following items will be required. Please provide the following information to
your radiology center.
- Implant Model Number: The exact model(s) of your Nucleus implant will be required in order to understand
the specific MRI conditions that apply. To find the implant type:
- Log in to Cochlear Family here: Once logged in click “My Equipment” then click the “Implant” tab.
- If you do not have a Cochlear Family account, you can register here.
- Once you have your implant model number and serial number, consider putting it on your implant identification card. This card was provided at the time of your surgery or may be accessed here.
- If you are unable to register with Cochlear Family, contact Cochlear at 1-866-210-9217.
- MRI Guidelines: The specific implant conditions are outlined within the MRI Guidelines here.
- Implant Model Number: The exact model(s) of your Nucleus implant will be required in order to understand the specific MRI conditions that apply. To find the implant type:
For professionals seeking further clarity on implant generations and MRI conditions, please click here.
MRI for Cochlear™ Baha® Systems
For the Baha Connect System, as long as the sound processor is removed, you can have MRI scans at 1.5T and 3.0T.
For the Baha Attract System, an MRI can be performed at 1.5 Tesla with the magnet in place. If a higher strength MRI or reduction of artifact is required, the internal magnet can be surgically removed.
Prior to receiving an MRI, please consult with your clinician about proper precautions.
For professionals seeking more information on performing a MRI on a Cochlear Baha Implant recipient, please click here.
MRI for Cochlear™ Osia® System
Osia was designed with the same technology that has allowed for conditional access to MRI for over two decades in Cochlear Nucleus® Implant recipients. This key design feature allows for easy access and removal of the magnet.
The OSI200 Implant is MR Conditional at 1.5T with the magnet in place using a Cochlear MRI Kit for Osia or with the magnet surgically removed. Patients can be scanned at 3.0T only if the magnet has been surgically removed. Prior to receiving an MRI, please seek advice from your ear nose and throat (ENT) physician to talk about the available options that may be right for you.
For professionals seeking more information on performing a MRI on a Cochlear Osia recipient, please click here.
Please seek advice from your medical practitioner or health professional about treatments for hearing loss. They will be able to advise on a suitable solution for the hearing loss condition. All products should be used only as directed by your medical practitioner or health professional. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative.
*MRI guidelines may differ from country to country due to local regulations. Please ensure you refer to the MRI guidelines for your country.
© Cochlear Limited 2021. All rights reserved. Hear Now And Always and other trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of Cochlear Limited or Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions AB.
- D774756 Cochlear Nucleus Implants MRI Guidelines.
- https://www.medel.com/us/cochlear-implants-mri-safety. Cited October 2018.
- https://advancedbionics.com/us/en/home/professionals/hires-ultra-3d-cochlear-implant.html. Cited October 2018.