Cochlear implants for adults
Cochlear implants can provide access to sounds you no longer hear, even in noisy environments. Learn how they may be able to help you.
What you'll find on this page
- Hear from people whose lives have been transformed by a cochlear implant
- Find out if a cochlear implant can help you
- Learn about the benefits of cochlear implants
When you live with hearing loss, you're missing more than just your hearing. You're missing your connection to life
Improved quality of life is so important and many people who now have cochlear implants say they enjoy talking on the phone, listening to music and socializing with family and friends again. Being able to hear alarms and traffic when crossing the street are sounds that can make you feel safer as well.
Do you qualify for a cochlear implant?
Cochlear implants are approved for adults with moderate to profound sensorineural hearing loss in one or both ears who are not receiving enough benefit when using hearing aids. For some people, using hearing aids with a moderate to profound hearing loss can be like listening to a loud, badly tuned radio. It may be loud enough to hear parts of what is being said, but the words are not clear. Cochlear implants are designed to provide clearer sound and help you understand what is being said.
A hearing health professional who specializes in all types of hearing technology, including implantable hearing solutions, will be able to advise if you may benefit from a cochlear implant.
Note: Wearing hearing aids first is a necessary step in the evaluation process for a cochlear implant.
Introducing the Cochlear™ Nucleus® System
You are unique and your hearing solution should be, too. With our Cochlear Nucleus Implant System, we help you hear your best with more choices of wearing options, wireless connectivity solutions, and personalized services. This means providing you with an innovative cochlear implant solution that includes the world's most reliable implants4-6, Apple® and Android™ device compatibility and proven hearing performance for a lifetime.
Want to learn more?
We can send you a free informational guide on cochlear implants today. A good next step is to visit a hearing health professional who specializes in hearing technology that will be able to advise if you may benefit from a cochlear implant.
Please seek advice from your medical practitioner or health professional about treatments for hearing loss. They will be able to advise on a suitable solution for the hearing loss condition. All products should be used only as directed by your medical practitioner or health professional. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative.
Views expressed by Cochlear recipients and hearing health providers are those of the individual. Consult your hearing health provider to determine if you are a candidate for cochlear technology and to understand the associated risks and benefits. Individual results may vary.
ACE, Advance Off-Stylet, AOS, AutoNRT, Autosensitivity, Beam, Button, CareYourWay, Carina, Cochlear, 科利耳, コクレア, Cochlear SoftWear, Codacs, ConnectYourWay, Contour, Contour Advance, Custom Sound, ESPrit, Freedom, Hear now. And always, HearYourWay, Hugfit, Hybrid, Invisible Hearing, Kanso, MET, MicroDrive, MP3000, myCochlear, mySmartSound, NRT, Nucleus, Off-Stylet, Slimline, SmartSound, Softip, SPrint, True Wireless, the elliptical logo, WearYourWay and Whisper are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Cochlear Limited. Ardium, Baha, Baha SoftWear, BCDrive, DermaLock, EveryWear, Vistafix, and WindShield are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions AB.
Apple, iPhone, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android and Google Play are registered trademarks of Google Inc.
For compatibility information visit www.cochlear.com/compatibility
- Novak MA, Firszt JB, Rotz LA, et al. Cochlear implants in infants and toddlers. Ann Otol Rhino Laryngol Suppl 2000;185:46-49.
- Hirschfelder A, Gräbel S, Olze H. The impact of cochlear implantation on quality of life: The role of audiologic performance and variables. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2008 Mar;138(3): 357-362.
- Wyatt JR, Niparko JK, Rothman M, deLissovoy G. Cost Utility of the Multichannel Cochlear Implant in 258 Profoundly Deaf Individuals. Laryngoscope.1996;106:816–821.
- Cochlear Nucleus Implant Reliability Report. Volume 16 | December 2017. D1175804. Cochlear Ltd; 2018.
- Hearing Implant Reliability Reporting | MED-EL [Internet]. Medel.com. 2018 [cited 6 March 2018]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/au/reliability-reporting/
- 2017 Global Implant Reliability Report. 027-N025-02. Advanced Bionics AG and affiliates.; 2017.