What you'll find on this page
- Important considerations when choosing a cochlear implant
- Cochlear™ Nucleus® Implant System performance
- Information about Cochlear services
As part of our promise to help you “Hear now. And always,” we are committed to helping you achieve your best hearing experience every day. This means providing you with innovative hearing solutions and unsurpassed support throughout your entire hearing journey—today and into the future.
Quality Hearing Technology
|Perimodiolar Electrodes||Cochlear offers the performance benefits of perimodiolar electrodes that are close to the hearing nerve to maximize hearing outcomes.1-4|
|# of Electrode Channels||Cochlear electrode arrays have 22 active channels to optimize frequency coverage along the hearing nerve.2,5|
|Atraumatic Electrodes||Cochlear provides the thinnest electrodes on the market designed to preserve the structures of the cochlea.5|
|Smart Bimodal Offerings||Stream sound directly to both ears using the latest, most advanced hearing aid technology from Resound and cochlear implant technology^ from Cochlear.6|
|Dual Microphones||Dual microphones enable better hearing in noise with all Cochlear Nucleus Sound Processors.|
|Automatic Scene Analysis||Cochlear's SmartSound® iQ 2 with SCAN 2* technology automatically adapts to the environment and is proven to help improve listening in background noise.7,17|
|Made for Smartphones||Stream music, phone calls and entertainment directly to your Nucleus® 8 Sound Processor and Kanso 2 Sound Processor from a compatible Apple® or Android™ device.^|
|Smart App||Monitor, manage and control the Nucleus 8 or Kanso 2 Sound Processor using the Nucleus Smart App from a compatible smartphone or Apple Watch.^|
|Wireless Accessories||Cochlear's True Wireless™ devices provide you with the ability to hear better in groups, including at school, at the office and at home without the need for neck-worn loops or attachments to the sound processor.7|
|Monitoring/Data Logging||Cochlear’s Hearing Tracker and data logging provide personalized usage information so you can monitor and tailor your hearing experience from your compatible smartphone.^ Especially important for children, Hearing Tracker monitors consistency of daily use proven to impact speech outcomes.8,9|
|Wearing Options||Cochlear offers a choice of sound processor wearing options, retention and water-proof accessories to fit your personality and lifestyle without compromising performance.|
Quality Service and Support
|Raising Awareness||Cochlear is driving initiatives to address the importance of hearing health and treating hearing loss; including significant investment in the Standard of Care consensus.10|
|Educating the Channel||Sycle practice management software, used by over 20,000 clinicians and the Cochlear Provider Network of over 250 audiology practices, is supported by Cochlear with education on hearing implant candidacy criteria and enables more access to care.|
|Coverage Support||Cochlear provides full service reimbursement assistance, including submitting predetermination and appeals to health plans, that enables access for candidates and recipients. When a letter of medical necessity is required, Cochlear's cloud-enabled e-signature service makes the process fast and easy.|
|Lifetime Access||Cochlear’s Health Economics Team is actively advocating for policies, including the industry supported Standard of Care consensus initiative**, aimed at improving accessibility to hearing implants and new process technology for a lifetime.|
Fast Personal Support
|Cloud-Based Support||Cochlear Link with secure cloud technology automatically registers equipment to ensure the fastest services and support. Cochlear Link has been proven in a large clinic to handle >90% of processor replacements without clinic involvement, ship >80% of replacements within 24 hours and save the clinic 260 hours of time in one year.11|
|Web-Based Support||myCochlear provides on-demand and personalized information about your device where and when you need it.|
|Remote Care||Cochlear has secured the first FDA approval for both remote programming and Remote Check allowing clinicians to program and perform diagnostics to CI sound processors remotely when an in-person appointment is not practical.12††|
|Hearing Therapy Resources||Cochlear offers an extensive rehabilitation resources in English and Spanish to help you improve your communication and listening skills.|
|Customer Support||Cochlear Family connects recipients to one another, to personalized resources and technology including specials, promotions, education and support with 24/7 access.|
|Community Support||Cochlear is the most chosen, most trusted hearing implant partner around the world,10,13-16 with the largest Cochlear implant recipient network in North America including local chapters and active online communities to provide education, connections and support.|
Quality Over Time
|Reliability Track Record||Cochlear is #1 in implant reliability and has demonstrated durability with Nucleus 8 and Kanso 2 Sound Processors.13-16|
|Transparency||Cochlear remains the only manufacturer compliant to external reliability reporting per ANSI/AAMI CI86 Standard for both implants and sound processors.14-16|
|Upgradability||Cochlear's implants are designed to allow access to new processor technology as it becomes available without the need for additional surgery.|
|MRI Access||Cochlear developed the first cochlear implants with access to MRI over 20 years ago. The latest technology, Nucleus Profile Plus, provides access to MRI at 1.5 Tesla and 3.0 Tesla with the magnet in place without the need for a head wrap.|
|Technology Innovation||Cochlear invests on average 12% (184.4 million in Fiscal year 2019) in the development of future innovations with a continued commitment to every recipient for a lifetime of hearing experiences.10|
To learn more about Cochlear's commitment to service for our recipients and professional partners, view our Cochlear Americas Annual Service Report.
*SNR-NR, WNR and SCAN are approved for use with any recipient ages six years and older, who is able to 1) complete objective speech perception testing in quiet and in noise in order to determine and document performance 2) report a preference for different program settings.
**The Delphi process and medical writing support was funded by Advanced Bionics, Cochlear Ltd, Med-El and Oticon Medical. The funding organizations did not contribute to the design, facilitation or content of the Delphi consensus process. Oxford PharmaGenesis, an independent HealthScience communications agency, which provides services to the healthcare industry, professional societies and patient groups through specialist practices, developed the protocol and searches for the systematic literature review and provided support to Dr Buchman for screening, data extraction and analysis and statement development. Oxford PharmaGenesis also coordinated and facilitated the three rounds of Delphi voting to generate and validate the consensus statements for inclusion in a final publication. Oxford PharmaGenesis facilitated communication between the Chair, steering committee, Delphi consensus panel members and the CAPAC.
^The Cochlear Nucleus 8 Sound Processor and Kanso 2 Sound Processor are compatible with Apple and Android devices. The Cochlear Nucleus Smart App is available on App Store and Google Play. For compatibility information visit www.cochlear.com/compatibility. For hearing aids compatible with linking to Cochlear sound processors please visit www.cochlear.com/nucleus/compatibility or visit the Smart Hearing Alliance section of www.cochlear.com/compatibility.
††Remote Check is intended for ages 6 and older. The Remote Check feature is only visible and accessible if the feature is enabled by a clinician. Clinicians should consider the suitability of the feature before enabling Remote Check.
Android is a trademark of Google LLC.
Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch, FaceTime, Made for iPad logo, Made for iPhone logo, Made for iPod logo, iPhone, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Cochlear is under license.
- Holden et al. Factors affecting open-set word recognition in adults with cochlear implants. Ear and Hearing. 2013; 34:342-60.
- Berg et al. Speech recognition as a function of the number of channels in perimodiolar electrode recipients. The Journal of the Acoustical Society of America. 2019;145 (3): 1556. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/31067952.
- Lupo JE, Biever A, Kelsall DC. Comprehensive hearing aid assessment in adults with bilateral severe-profound sensorineural hearing loss who present for Cochlear implant evaluation. Am J Otolaryngol. 2020;41(2):102300. doi:10.1016/j.amjoto.2019.102300
- Buchman CA, Herzog JA, McJunkin JL, et al. Assessment of Speech Understanding After Cochlear Implantation in Adult Hearing Aid Users: A Nonrandomized Controlled Trial. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. Published online August 27, 2020. doi:10.1001/jamaoto.2020.1584
- FUN1142: Electrode Comparison Sheet
- Mauger, S. J., Jones, M., Nel, E., & Dot, J. D. (2017). Clinical outcomes with the Kanso™ off-the-ear cochlear.
- Cochlear Data on File. FUN2428 ISS5 Product Comparison Chart.
- Easwar V, et al. Factors Affecting Daily Cochlear Implant Use in Children: Datalogging Evidence. J Am Acad Audiol. 2016 Nov/Dec;27(10):824-838.
- Cochlear 2020 Annual Report – Available here: https://www.cochlear.com/us/en/corporate/investors/annual-reports.
- Cochlear Data on File. FUN2580 Cochlear Link Large Clinic Impact.
- Cochlear Nucleus Implant Reliability Report. Volume 19 | December 2020. D1805413 Cochlear Ltd; December 2020.
- Cochlear Nucleus System Reliability Report Reporting to ANSI/AAMI CI86 Standard. Volume 4 | December 2020. D1805415. Cochlear Ltd; 2020.
- 2020 Global Implant Reliability Report. 027-N258-02 Rev A. Advanced Bionics AG and affiliates.; 2020.
- Hearing Implant Reliability Reporting | MEDEL [Internet]. MedEl.com. 2020 [cited 09 March 2020]. Available from: https://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/reliability.
- Wolfe J, Morais Duke M, Schafer E. Improving hearing performance in Cochlear Nucleus 6 users with True Wireless Accessories. Denver: Cochlear Americas; 2015.