What you'll find on this page
- Learn how the sound processor upgrade process works
- Learn about Cochlear’s Reimbursement and Insurance services
Whether you prefer to self-pay for your new sound processor or utilize your insurance benefits, our specialists can help you get your order started and navigate your insurance, if applicable.
What to expect during the upgrade process
Steps to Upgrading your
Determine if and when a sound processor upgrade is right for you
Is your existing processor out of warranty as well as retired or lost? Perhaps you are interested in the latest technology? Whatever the reason for upgrading, our specialists are here to help you through the process.
Complete an order form
Download and complete the order form to help make your selections on color and accessory options.
- Nucleus 8 Sound Processor (US)
- Nucleus 7 for N22 Sound Processor (US)
- Kanso 2 Sound Processor (US)
- Nucleus 8 Sound Processor (CA)
- Nucleus 7 for N22 Sound Processor (CA)
- Kanso 2 Sound Processor (CA)
- Baha 6 Max Sound Processor (US)
- Baha 5 SuperPower Sound Processor (US)
- Baha 6 Max Sound Processor (CA)
- Baha 5 SuperPower (Sound Processor CA)
Send it to Cochlear
When you have your order form complete, you can email it to firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you are using Cochlear’s Reimbursement and Insurance Services here’s what you can expect.
- Complete the necessary paperwork that was emailed to you when you submitted your order form.
- Cochlear will request a Letter of Medical Necessity (LMN) from your clinician. This serves as a prescription and justifies an upgrade is medically necessary for your cochlear implant to continuously function. Keep in mind, health plans follow their own guidelines for coverage.
- Cochlear’s Reimbursement and Insurance Services team will work directly with your health plan to secure the required approvals necessary to file a claim on your behalf.
- Once we receive the required approvals from your insurance, we will collect any coinsurance due and ship your sound processor. You can expect it to arrive in 1-3 business days after shipping.
- If you did not choose to have your processor pre-programmed, you will need to schedule an appointment with your audiologist to have your device programmed.
Visit our Insurance Support Center for more detailed information, links to the necessary forms and helpful videos. Generally, the sound processor upgrade process take 6-8 weeks to process and ship when utilizing insurance benefits.
If you would like to process your order without utilizing Cochlear’s Reimbursement and Insurance Services, please visit our Paying for Upgrades section to learn about options for covering the cost of a new sound processor.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
Views expressed are those of the individual. Consult your health professional to determine if you are a candidate for Cochlear technology.
Products or services billed must be medically necessary, actually performed and appropriately documented in the medical record. You will be responsible for paying any applicable coinsurance, deductible, or amounts not covered by your insurance to Cochlear. Coverage determinations and out-of-pocket costs may vary for individuals with private insurance.
The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is compatible with the Nucleus Profile Plus, Nucleus Profile Series, CI500 Series, CI24RE (Freedom) Series, CI24R, CI24M and CI22M implants. The Kanso 2 Sound Processor is compatible with the Nucleus Profile Plus, Nucleus Profile Series, CI500 Series, CI24RE (Freedom) Series, CI24R and CI24M implants. The Kanso 2 Sound Processor will not be compatible with the Nucleus® 22 (N22) Implant due to the Kanso 2 Sound Processor’s size and coil type. The Nucleus 8 Sound Processor is not currently compatible with the Nucleus 22 Implant.