A step on your child’s hearing journey
Baha Start allows your child to experience hearing through bone conduction without the need for surgery. It's a bone conduction solution for children with conductive hearing loss, mixed hearing loss and single-sided sensorineural deafness (SSD).
Baha Start consists of one or two sound processors worn on either Baha Softband or SoundArc™.
The sound processor captures sound in the air and converts the sound into vibrations which are carried through the bone to the inner ear.
The Baha Softband and SoundArc are lightweight and easy to wear with a secure and comfortable fit. They are available in several sizes and different colours, so your child can choose the one that suits them the best.
Benefits for your child
Early access to sound is proven to make a difference in helping children learn, engage and fully experience the richness of their environment.3 Baha Start may be the solution your child needs to access sound as early as possible. It’s designed to deliver sound to help your child to develop on par with their hearing peers.3,4
With our latest sound processor, Baha 6 Max, your child will have a small and powerful sound processor designed to deliver clear, rich and natural sound5 without getting in the way of their everyday life.
Designed with babies and toddlers in mind
"We wanted to make sure that when she hit kindergarten, she would be in the same place as her hearing peers."*1
- Mother of Lucy, Cochlear™ Baha® recipient
Designed for young children
Your child starts learning to communicate before they say "mama" or "dada." It's important to give your baby access to sound early.6
Comfortable and soft
The Softband features Baha SoftWear™ pads, designed to reduce pressure on the skin while also allowing sound transmission.7
An adjustable strap helps you get a snug fit on your active baby or toddler, while a safety release opens the Softband if it catches on an object.
Lightweight and adaptable
The Baha SoundArc is a lightweight and adaptable hearing device suitable for adults and children.
Designed with a modern look
Like a pair of sunglasses, the SoundArc is easy to put on and take off. It can fit one or two Baha sound processors.
No two heads are alike. That’s why SoundArc is designed to fit different shapes and sizes, comfortably and securely.
Soft coloured tips let your child match their hair, style or clothes, so they can express themselves and enjoy wearing their SoundArc.
Baha Start may give your child the opportunity to experience sound and help provide the hearing they need to develop and grow. Learn more about Cochlear Baha Start for kids with a free informational guide.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
*1 Views expressed are those of the individual. Consult your health professional to determine if you are a candidate for Cochlear technology.
Cochlear Baha 6 sound processors are compatible with Apple and Android devices. The Cochlear Baha Smart App is available on App Store and Google Play. For compatibility information, visit www.cochlear.com/compatibility.
Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC. Apple, the Apple logo, iPhone, iPad and iPod are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc.
- Lieu JE. Speech-language and educational consequences of unilateral hearing loss in children. Arch Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004;130(5):524-30.
- Kesser BW, Krook K, Gray LC. Impact of unilateral conductive hearing loss due to aural atresia on academic performance in children. Laryngoscope. 2013;123(9):2270-5.
- Yoshinaga-Itano C. Early Intervention after universal neo-natal hearing screening: impact on outcomes. Dev Disabil Res Rev. 2003;9(4):252-66.
- Hol MK, Cremers CW, Coppens-Schellekens W, Snik AF. The Baha Softband. A new treatment for young children with bilateral congenital aural atresia. Int J Pediatr Otorhinolaryngol. 2005;69:973-80.
- Hoffman J. Subjective evaluation of clear rich and natural sound. Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions AB, Sweden. 2020; D1788013.
- World Health Organization. Childhood Hearing Loss: Strategies for Prevention and Care. 2016; https://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/204632. Accessed November 4 2020.
- Flynn M and Fyrlund H. Design concept and technological considerations for the new Baha® Softband. Cochlear Bone Anchored Solutions AB, Sweden. 2015; 631194.