What you'll find on this page
- Questions about the surgery and recovery
- Questions about hearing outcomes
- Questions about surgery day
Here are some questions to ask your surgeon to make sure you have all the information you need to feel confident going forward. The questions can be easily adapted if you are the parent of a child about to have surgery.
Questions about surgery
- What are the risks/complications of surgery?
- Will you shave my hair?
- Where will you make the incision?
- Is the surgery painful?
- How long will the surgery take?
- Do I have to stay in the hospital overnight?
- Will there be swelling?
- What will I look like when I come out of surgery? Will I have a bandage, etc.?
- How long is recovery?
- What does the recovery process look like?
Questions about hearing outcomes
Will I be able to hear immediately after the surgery?
How well will I hear?
Will I be able to talk on the phone?
Will I be able to listen to music?
Questions about surgery day logistics
- Can I get a tour of the hospital in advance?
- What time do I need to arrive?
- What do I need to wear?
- What do I need to bring with me?
- Should I avoid eating/drinking before coming in?
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
Views expressed are those of the individual. Consult your health professional to determine if you are a candidate for Cochlear technology.