What you'll find on this page
- Some questions to ask about getting a hearing implant.
- Suggested questions about living with a hearing implant.
The best way to approach your hearing loss is to have a plan to treat it and to know the next steps. Your hearing health professional can explain your hearing loss and the best treatments available. Here are some questions to get you started.
Questions for adults to ask about hearing implants
- What are the advantages of implantable hearing solutions compared to hearing aids?
- Why is this a good choice for me?
- How will I know this solution will work for me?
- What will it sound like? What will music sound like?
- How will it look?
- How will this solution help with listening to music and videos, talking on the phone and interacting with others?
- How will this implant fit my lifestyle?
- What are the differences between behind-the-ear and off-the-ear solutions?
- Can I try it before I move forward with surgery?
- What effect will the implant have on my natural hearing?
- How long will my hearing implant last? How reliable is it?
- Can I speak to someone who has a hearing implant?
- What ongoing appointments and treatments will I need after getting my implant?
Extra questions for parents to ask about hearing implants for their children
As well as questions above, you may want to ask the following on behalf of your child:
- What is the best age for my child to get an implant?
- What steps will you take to ensure my child’s wellbeing is the top priority?
- Are there ways to make sure the processor will stay on my child's head?
- Will my child be able to hear the teacher and participate in class at school?
- Will my child be able to swim? Can they play sport?
- Will this solution have any impact on my child’s speech development?