How the Nucleus Hybrid Implant System works
- Microphones on the Nucleus 8 Sound Processor pick up the sound and convert it into digital information.
- When using hybrid hearing, the acoustic component amplifies low frequency sound and sends it down the ear canal through the normal pathway of hearing.
- The high frequency information is transferred via the coil to the Nucleus Cochlear Implant just under the skin.
- The Nucleus Cochlear Implant sends electrical signals down the electrode into the cochlea.
- The hearing nerve fibers in the cochlea pick up the electrical signals, combine them with the amplified sounds and send them to the brain where they are interpreted as sound.
Nucleus 8 Sound Processor with Acoustic Component
The Nucleus® Sound Processor with Cochlear Hybrid™ Hearing* works with the same portfolio of implants as the Nucleus 8 Sound Processor.
Hybrid L24 Electrode**
Industry's first electrode for high frequency losses and preservation of apical structures.
The Hybrid L24 Electrode provides electrical stimulation in the basal section of the cochlea, while protecting the apical section to provide benefit from acoustic stimulation. This combination of stimulation is indicated in patients with mild to moderate hearing loss in the low frequencies and severe to profound hearing loss in the high frequencies.
This material is intended for health professionals. If you are a consumer, please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
* The Acoustic Component should only be used when behavioral audiometric thresholds can be obtained and the recipient can provide feedback regarding sound quality
**The Hybrid L24 Implant is approved in the US for adults ages 18 and older for unilateral use only.