Choose Quality. Choose Cochlear.
Choosing a cochlear implant is a very important decision. Be it for yourself or a loved one, you want to trust that you are choosing the best hearing solution for today and for the future. Along with hearing performance, implant reliability is an important consideration. The reliability of the implant you choose is a measure of quality and can provide peace of mind today and for the years to come.
Cochlear™ Nucleus® implants are the most reliable in the industry1-3. We meet and report against the independent global standards for implant reliability4-7, publishing data of every implant generation, past and present.
Most reliable today
Most reliable over time
The numbers speak for themselves. Cochlear Nucleus implants are the most reliable on the market, today** and over time1-3.
Click on the graph below to enlarge
Implant reliability over time1-3
Most reliable for children
When choosing a hearing implant solution for your child, we understand that you want the very best. Getting the very best means choosing Cochlear, with a market-leading implant reliability rate of 99.75% CSP for children for our latest generation implant1.
Note: MED-EL does not report data separately for adults and children which is required by the European and International consensus statements on cochlear implant reliability reporting.
With more than 379,000 registered Cochlear Nucleus implants worldwide1, Cochlear leads the way as the most trusted provider of implantable hearing solutions.
MED-EL does not report number of registered cochlear implants.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
* CSP = Cumulative Survival Percentage - CSP includes both device and accident-related issues.
** Latest generation of cochlear implants commercially available as at 31 December 2018.
- Cochlear Limited. D1593476. Cochlear Nucleus Reliability Report, Volume 17 December 2018. 2019, Mar.
- Hearing Implant Reliability Reporting | MED-EL [Internet]. Medel.com. 2019 [cited 7 March 2019]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/hearing-solutions/cochlear-implants/reliability
- 2018 Global Implant Reliability Report. 027-N025-02 Rev B. Advanced Bionics AG and affiliates.; 2018.
- International Standard ISO 5841-2. Implants for Surgery — Cardiac Pacemakers — Part 2: Reporting of Clinical Performance of Populations of Pulse Generators or Leads. Geneva (Switzerland): International Organization for Standardization. 2000.
- International Standard ISO 5841-2. Implants for Surgery — Cardiac Pacemakers — Part 2: Reporting of Clinical Performance of Populations of Pulse Generators or Leads. Geneva (Switzerland): International Organization for Standardization. 2014.
- European Consensus Statement on Cochlear Implant Failures and Explantations. Otol Neurotol. 2005 Nov;26(6):1097-9.
- Battmer RD, Backous DD, Balkany TJ, Briggs RJ, Gantz BJ, van Hasselt A, et al. International Classification of Reliability for Implanted Cochlear Implant Receiver Stimulators. Otol Neurotol. 2010 Oct;31(8):1190-3.