The benefits of bimodal hearing
Ears work as a team, and the brain needs both ears to effectively process sound.1 For many people a bimodal hearing solution, with a hearing aid on one ear and a cochlear implant on the other, is the solution that provides them with their best hearing.
When compared to using a hearing aid or cochlear implant alone, users of bimodal hearing report a more natural hearing experience,2 improved speech understanding in quiet and noise,3-6 improved perception of music,7 and better functioning in real-life environments.3
In a large study, users of bimodal hearing also reported much higher satisfaction with their hearing performance compared with when they previously used two hearing aids.8
For a premium hearing experience and advanced connectivity, we offer a smart bimodal hearing solution in collaboration with ReSound, a pioneer in the hearing aid industry.
Bimodal solutions from the Smart Hearing Alliance
Cochear and ReSound collaborate in the Smart Hearing Alliance, so when there is a need for a hearing aid and a hearing implant, our solutions work together seamlessly. A bimodal hearing solution from the Smart Hearing Alliance provides all the benefits of bimodal hearing with additional advantages.
Bimodal users with an implant system from Cochlear and ReSound hearing aid were more likely to hear in noisy environments and also found it easier to talk on the phone than those with other bimodal solutions, research shows. Of those surveyed, 72% said they were very likely to recommend their hearing solution.9
The Smart Hearing Alliance was first to offer a smart bimodal hearing solution with direct streaming to both ears from a compatible Apple or Android™ device.*
Cochlear and ReSound collaborate in the Smart Hearing Alliance to develop advanced and innovative hearing solutions for you.
Smart bimodal hearing solution
"My bimodal hearing technology from Cochlear and ReSound has helped me regain the life I thought I had lost. I will be forever grateful for this amazing gift of sound."
- Christopher, Smart Hearing Alliance bimodal user
The smarter pair
To experience the smart bimodal hearing solution an individual will need a:
Control and confidence
Users can personalise their hearing experience by directly controlling their sound processor and hearing aid settings using their compatible Apple or Android device.*
Simultaneous streaming to both ears
Adults and children can stream calls, music and entertainment from their compatible Apple or Android™ device direct to their compatible sound processor and hearing aid.*
Additional bimodal hearing options
Bimodal hearing is available in various device combinations for a comfortable fit and to help adults and children hear their best with both ears.
A Nucleus 8, Nucleus 7 or Kanso 2 Sound Processor and any hearing aid
Individuals can experience direct streaming from their compatible Apple or Android device to their Nucleus 8, Nucleus 7 or Kanso 2 Sound Processor, while enjoying the benefits of bimodal hearing.*
A Cochlear sound processor and any hearing aid
Wearing a Cochlear sound processor with any professionally fitted hearing aid on the other ear can give adults and children the benefits of bimodal hearing.
Interested in learning more?
If an adult or child is interested in learning more about our smart bimodal hearing solution, we can send them a free information guide.
This content is intended for professionals. If you are a consumer, please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always follow the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
ReSound is part of the GN group. GN makes life sound better through intelligent audio solutions.
Views expressed are those of the individual. Consult your health professional to determine if you are a candidate for Cochlear technology.
Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch, FaceTime, Made for iPad logo, Made for iPhone logo, Made for iPod logo, iPhone, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android, Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
- Weaver, J. "Single-Sided Deafness: Causes, and Solutions, Take Many Forms." Hearing Journal 68.3 (2015): 20-24. Web. (2017 Apr 28). http://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2015/03000/Single_Sided_Deafness___Causes,_and_Solutions,.1.aspx.
- Farinetti A, Roman S, Mancini J, et al. Quality of life in bimodal hearing users (unilateral cochlear implants and contralateral hearing aids). Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2015 Nov); 272, 3209–3215.
- Ching TY, Incerti P, Hill M. Binaural benefits for adults who use hearing aids and cochlear implants in opposite ears. Ear Hear (2004 Feb); 25, 9–21.
- Morera C, Cavalle L, Manrique M, et al. Contralateral hearing aid use in cochlear implanted patients: Multicenter study of bimodal benefit. Acta Otolaryngol (2012 Jun); 132, 1084–1094.
- Potts LG, Skinner MW, Litovsky RA., et al. Recognition and localization of speech by adult cochlear implant recipients wearing a digital hearing aid in the nonimplanted ear (bimodal hearing). J Am Acad Audiol (2009 Jun); 20, 353–373.
- Gifford RH, Dorman MF, McKarns SA, Spahr AJ. Combined electric and contralateral acoustic hearing: Word and sentence recognition with bimodal hearing. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. (2007 Aug) 1;50(4):835-43.
- Sucher CM, McDermott HJ. Bimodal stimulation: benefits for music perception and sound quality. Cochlear Implants International. (2009 Jan); 1;10(S1):96-9.
- Clinical evaluation of the Cochlear Nucleus® CI532 cochlear implant in adults (CLTD5685). (2019 Jan). [Sponsored by Cochlear].
- Cochlear Limited. D1627134. Cochlear Bimodal Experience Survey - (2019 Apr) (2019 Jun).