Common questions

Answers to some common questions about shareholding information.

  • How do I obtain a copy of Cochlear’s annual report?

    Annual reports are published in September each year. Shareholders receive a copy electronically or via mail.

  • How do I buy or sell Cochlear shares?

    To buy or sell your shares on market, you will need to contact a licensed stockbroker who will arrange the sale for you. If you wish to sell the shares off market, you will need to complete an Australian Standard Transfer form.

  • What if I do not want to receive an Annual Report via mail?

    Please phone, write or email Computershare, quoting your shareholder number, name and address.

  • How do I obtain a duplicate copy of my shareholder statement?

    You may request a duplicate copy of your statement by mailing a written request to Cochlear's share registry. A fee of $15.00 applies to this service. Please include a cheque or money order payable to “Computershare”.

  • How can I check my shareholding?

    Contact ‘Computershare’ on 1300 85 05 05 or online at Computershare.

  • What is the difference between issuer sponsored and participant sponsored (CHESS)? How do I know what my holding is?

    Issuer sponsored is where shares are held in an uncertificated form, without the requirement for sponsorship by a CHESS participant. Shareholders are not issued share certificates, but instead receive statements detailing share movements and holding balance. Statements are issued when you first become a holder and are also mailed within five business days of the end of any month in which transactions occur. The holding statement also shows your personal Securityholder Reference Number (SRN) identifying the issuer sponsored holding.

    CHESS stands for Clearing House Electronic Subregister System. CHESS participants have direct access to the settlement process and can sponsor other securityholders to use CHESS facilities. All stockbrokers are participants, as are most large institutional investors, custodian nominees and trustee companies. An individual shareholder would generally use a stockbroker as their sponsoring participant. A sponsorship agreement is then signed with the nominated participant, authorising them to deal with the holding subject to certain conditions. Your holding statements would indicate the name of the participating sponsor.

  • What is a Security Reference Number (SRN) and how do I find out what my SRN is?

    Issuer sponsored holders are allocated two unique identification numbers - an SRN and a Holder Number. The SRN provides a higher level of security (similar to a credit card PIN); it is only shown on Issuer statements and must be provided to your broker when buying or selling Cochlear shares. The unique holder number is quoted on other correspondence and cannot be used to sell your holding in Cochlear. You can request your SRN by contacting the share registry by letter or fax.

    You must provide the following information:

    • full name(s) and address (old and new if changed) of the registered investor(s)
    • company/Trust in which the investments are held
    • number of shares/units held
    • signatures of the registered security holders

    You may also obtain your SRN in person from the share registry upon production of a drivers licence or current passport.

  • How do I change my direct credit details?

    You may change your direct credit details by mailing a completed Direct Credit form to Cochlear's share registry. Forms can be downloaded from Computershare.

  • How do I advise my change of address?

    For issuer sponsored holdings: advise the share registry by writing a letter or completing a Change of Address Notification form. For participant sponsored (CHESS) holdings: advise your sponsoring participant in writing. They will then advise the share registry of the change. Acknowledgment of address changes will be mailed to your old and your new address.

  • How do I consolidate more than one holding?

    For Issuer sponsored holdings: If the names and addresses recorded for both holdings are identical and the holdings are registered on the same subregister (ie. both are certificated or both are issuer sponsored), please contact Cochlear's share registry to consolidate duplicate holdings.

    If the names of the holdings are not identical, you will need to contact the share registry to confirm the process necessary for amalgamating them under one holder number. If the consolidation of your holdings involves a CHESS holding, you need to contact your sponsoring broker to arrange consolidation.


  • How and when are dividends paid?

    Cochlear's dividends are usually paid in the months of March and September. Indicative dates can be checked on the Investor Calendar found in the latest Cochlear Annual Report (at the end of the editorial section). Dividends are paid by cheque or directly into your bank account. For security and convenience, we recommend that you use direct deposit facilities. Forms are available from Computershare.

  • Is my Tax File Number (TFN) quoted? How do I quote my Tax File Number or exemption?

    To see if your TFN is quoted, check your shareholder details at Computershare. You may quote your Tax File Number or exemption by notifying the share registry in writing, by mail or fax. TFN Notification forms can be downloaded from Computershare. You may also quote your Tax File Number or exemption over the telephone if you provide sufficient information to identify the holding.

  • Does Cochlear have a dividend reinvestment plan?

    Cochlear does NOT have a dividend reinvestment plan.