Becoming a graduate at Cochlear starts with our Summer Student Program. More than an industrial placement, we've designed this intern program to equip you with skills to become a successful graduate with Cochlear.
What to expect from the Cochlear Summer Student Program
- Program runs from late-November to mid-February.
- You will be paid above Award rates, but are expected to support yourself and find suitable accommodation.
- You will work in our world-class R&D and manufacturing
- You will help solve complex technical problems.
- You will complete an important engineering project with the guidance of an experienced engineer. Past projects worked on by Summer Students include:
- designing, developing or testing new products or components (electrical or mechanical)
- investigating, testing and qualifying new techniques to manufacture future generation implants
- installing and qualifying manufacturing equipment or manufacturing test systems.
- You will be able to test yourself in our exceptional engineering environment and learn applied engineering processes and systems.
- You will spend time in other business areas, such as marketing and regulatory.
- You will learn new skills that you will use throughout your career.
- You will help change lives.
- Those who successfully complete the summer internship will be eligible for an offer of permanent employment upon graduation.
Who should apply to the Cochlear Summer Student Program?
- Australian residents able to work permanently without sponsorship.
- Engineering, material science, computer science or software students in
second-to-lastyear of study.
- Students who wish to pursue a career in the industry in preference to postgraduate studies, who love working with experts to solve complex problems, and who want to make a difference in the world by providing the gift of hearing.
How to apply to the Cochlear Summer Student Program
- Applications for 2021/22 are now closed.
- If you are currently in the penultimate year of your degree, please scroll down to register your interest below.
What to expect as a Cochlear graduate engineer
- In your first year, you will have a 12-month rotation through different departments with the guidance of a sponsor.
- The graduate program begins in the February after your final year of study and is open to graduates who have completed the Cochlear Summer Student Program.
- In your second year, you will join a team and start to build specialised skills while completing an ongoing learning program to develop your project management and leadership.
- You will need to be adaptable, open to coaching and quick to learn as you will use new systems and processes.
- You will solve complex technical problems, so you must know when to take the initiative and when to ask for help.
- You will be working with driven, passionate colleagues motivated by transforming the lives of our customers.
Our graduates are the best people to tell you what it's like to work as a graduate engineer at Cochlear. Read their reviews and stories here.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always follow the directions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
In Australia, Cochlear™ Nucleus® implant systems are intended for the treatment of moderately severe to profound hearing loss.
In Australia, Baha® bone conduction implant systems are intended for the treatment of moderate to profound hearing loss.
In Australia, the Cochlear™ Osia® System is indicated for patients with conductive, mixed hearing loss and single-sided sensorineural deafness (SSD) aged 10 years and above with up to 55 decibels sensorineural hearing loss. Patients should have sufficient bone quality and quantity to support successful implant placement. Surgery is required to use this product. Any surgical procedure carries risk.
For Cochlear™ Nucleus®, Osia® and Baha® systems: This product is not available for purchase by the general public. For information on funding and reimbursement please contact your health care professional.
Any testimonial featured on this website is intended for an Australian audience only.