Smart bimodal hearing solution
Hear well with both ears. Discover the smart bimodal hearing solution from Cochlear and ReSound.
The benefits of bimodal hearing
Ears work as a team, and the brain needs both ears to effectively process sound1. For many people a bimodal hearing solution, with a hearing aid on one ear and a cochlear implant on the other, is the solution that provides them with better hearing.
When compared to using a hearing aid or cochlear implant alone, users of bimodal hearing report a more natural hearing experience2, improved speech understanding in quiet and noise3-6, improved perception of music7, and better functioning in real-life environments3.
In a large study, users of bimodal hearing also reported much higher satisfaction with their hearing performance compared with when they previously used two hearing aids8.
Our cochlear implant systems work with any hearing aid to deliver bimodal hearing, so if you are happy with your current hearing aid there is no need to change.
However, for a premium hearing experience and advanced connectivity, we offer a smart bimodal hearing solution in collaboration with ReSound, a pioneer in the hearing aid industry.
Bimodal solutions from the Smart Hearing Alliance
Cochear and ReSound collaborate in the Smart Hearing Alliance, so when there is a need for a hearing aid and a hearing implant, our solutions work together seamlessly. A bimodal hearing solution from the Smart Hearing Alliance provides all the benefits of bimodal hearing with additional advantages.
Bimodal users with a Smart Hearing Alliance solution were more likely than those with other bimodal solutions to say they find it easy to hear in noisy environments and easy to talk on the phone, with 72% also saying they were very likely to recommend their hearing solution, in a survey9.
The Smart Hearing Alliance was also first to offer a smart bimodal hearing solution with direct streaming to both ears from a compatible Apple or AndroidTM device*.
The smart bimodal hearing solution experience
"My bimodal hearing technology from Cochlear and ReSound has helped me regain the life I thought I had lost. I will be forever grateful for this amazing gift of sound."
- Christopher, smart bimodal hearing solution user
Simultaneous streaming to both ears
Our smart bimodal hearing solution allows you to stream music and more from your compatible Apple or Android device direct to your compatible sound processor and hearing aid, without the need for an intermediary device*.
Control and confidence
With our smart bimodal solution you can use your compatible Apple device to directly control your sound processor and hearing aid settings*.
Connect like never before
To get the smart bimodal hearing solution experience you need a:
Additional bimodal hearing options
Bimodal hearing is available in various device combinations to help you hear well with both ears.
A Nucleus® 7 or Kanso® 2 Sound Processor and any hearing aid
You can experience direct streaming from your compatible Apple or Android device to your Nucleus 7 or Kanso 2 Sound Processor, plus enjoy the benefits of bimodal hearing*.
A Cochlear sound processor and any hearing aid
Wearing a Cochlear sound processor with any professionally fitted hearing aid on the other ear can give you the benefits of bimodal hearing.
Interested in learning more?
If you're interested in learning more about our smart bimodal hearing solution, we can send you a free information guide.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always follow the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
ReSound is part of the GN group. GN makes life sound better through intelligent audio solutions.
* For compatibility information and devices visit cochlear.com/compatibility and resound.com/compatibility
Views expressed are those of the individual. Consult your health professional to determine if you are a candidate for Cochlear technology.
Apple, the Apple logo, Apple Watch, FaceTime, Made for iPad logo, Made for iPhone logo, Made for iPod logo, iPhone, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android is a trademark of Google LLC. The Android robot is reproduced or modified from work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License. Google Play and the Google Play logo are trademarks of Google LLC.
- Weaver, J. "Single-Sided Deafness: Causes, and Solutions, Take Many Forms." Hearing Journal 68.3 (2015): 20-24. Web. 28 Apr. 2017. http://journals.lww.com/thehearingjournal/Fulltext/2015/03000/Single_Sided_Deafness___Causes,_and_Solutions,.1.aspx.
- Farinetti A, Roman S, Mancini J, et al. Quality of life in bimodal hearing users (unilateral cochlear implants and contralateral hearing aids). Eur Arch Otorhinolaryngol (2015 Nov); 272, 3209–3215.
- Ching TY, Incerti P, Hill M. Binaural benefits for adults who use hearing aids and cochlear implants in opposite ears. Ear Hear (2004 Feb); 25, 9–21.
- Morera C, Cavalle L, Manrique M, et al. Contralateral hearing aid use in cochlear implanted patients: Multicenter study of bimodal benefit. Acta Otolaryngol (2012 Jun); 132, 1084–1094.
- Potts LG, Skinner MW, Litovsky RA., et al. Recognition and localization of speech by adult cochlear implant recipients wearing a digital hearing aid in the nonimplanted ear (bimodal hearing). J Am Acad Audiol (2009 Jun); 20, 353–373.
- Gifford RH, Dorman MF, McKarns SA, Spahr AJ. Combined electric and contralateral acoustic hearing: Word and sentence recognition with bimodal hearing. Journal of Speech, Language, and Hearing Research. (2007 Aug) 1;50(4):835-43.
- Sucher CM, McDermott HJ. Bimodal stimulation: benefits for music perception and sound quality. Cochlear Implants International. (2009 Jan); 1;10(S1):96-9.
- Preliminary data on file: Clinical evaluation of the Cochlear Nucleus® CI532 cochlear implant in adults (CLTD5685). 2019, Jan. [Sponsored by Cochlear].
- Cochlear Limited. D1627134. Cochlear Bimodal Experience Survey - April 2019. 2019, Jun.