Getting the Hybrid™ solution
The Hybrid™ System is designed to help you enjoy the quality and clarity of hearing by effectively adding back the high frequency sounds that you have been missing.
The Hybrid™ System is a unique combination of solutions to overcome your high frequency hearing loss in a way not possible with hearing aids alone. It is designed to help you enjoy the quality and clarity of hearing by effectively adding back the high frequency sounds that you have been missing – completing your hearing experience.
It does this by seamlessly integrating electronic stimulation provided by a cochlear implant with acoustic amplification provided by a hearing aid. The cochlear implant provides the high frequency information and the hearing aid provides the low frequency information.
Quite simply, the Hybrid System can enable a person with severe to profound high frequency hearing loss to hear sounds at close to normal levels. And that includes the consonant sounds vital for understanding speech.
With a Hybrid system you may once again:
- hear more clearly when people talk – close by or at a distance
- enjoy greater awareness of environmental sounds – sounds like alarms, doorbells and approaching vehicles, to the subtle sounds of nature, such as rain, birds chirping or dogs barking.
- remain sharp and focused – when there is noise around you
- catch dialogue on TV more easily – without playing the TV at full volume
- talk on the phone – and make sense of what’s being said and
- enjoy music.
Below is an audiogram outcome that you might expect with Hybrid system:
A = Acoustic Component Stimulation
C = Cochlear Implant (electrical) stimulation
Electrical stimulation is a proven and highly effective way to restore high frequency hearing. The Hybrid L24 implant is a part of the Cochlear Hybrid System to deliver electrical stimulation directly to the high frequency part of your cochlea. It incorporates a specialised electrode designed to stimulate the high frequencies and complement your existing low frequency hearing.
Implanted under your skin in a routine surgical operation, the Hybrid L24 implant will not be visible externally and is a well-established and low risk procedure to experience improved hearing1.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
- Cosseti, M., Waltzman, S. (2011) Cochlear implants: current status and future potential, Expert Rev. Med. Devices 8(3), 389–401.