Cochlear Brings Leading Hearing Technology to Android Smartphone Users
27 June, 2018
- People with a Nucleus® 7 Sound Processor can now benefit from monitoring and direct control functionality on any compatible Android smartphone via the Nucleus Smart App*
- New ForwardFocus feature gives users added ability to control their listening environment
- Cochlear has expanded access to the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor by making the technology compatible for the first time with the Nucleus 24 Implant Series2
Sydney, Australia 27 June 2018: Cochlear Limited (ASX: COH), the global leader in implantable hearing solutions, has today announced the release of the Nucleus Smart App for Android™ offering greater connectivity than ever before for people with a Nucleus 7 Sound Processor. Users can now control their hearing with the Nucleus Smart App* from a compatible Android device, allowing them to monitor and adjust their settings, view personalised hearing information and even locate a missing sound processor, all from the convenience of their smartphone.
Jan Janssen, Chief Technology Officer, Cochlear explained that since the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor was first launched in 2017 as the world’s first Made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor1**, Cochlear has been working to extend the benefits of its industry leading technology to Android smartphone users.
"Embracing digital technologies that enhance the experience and hearing performance for people who rely on our products is a key focus of our product innovation. With the launch of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor last year, we were the first in our industry to introduce a Made for iPhone cochlear implant sound processor, still the only one to offer direct streaming from a compatible Apple device. Now we're pleased to offer Android users the ability to use the Nucleus Smart App to track their hearing and access new features. We are committed to giving people who are living with disabling hearing loss greater choices when it comes to controlling their hearing experience," said Janssen.
Along with the release of the Nucleus Smart App for Android, Cochlear has also added a first-of-its kind control feature called ForwardFocus. This user-activated control feature allows the wearer to hear better in challenging listening environments such as a busy restaurant. When switched on, ForwardFocus reduces distracting noise coming from behind a person so they can more easily enjoy a face-to-face conversation3.
The Nucleus Smart App, which is exclusively compatible with the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor, offers a range of first-of-its-kind features for users. From locating a lost or misplaced sound processor using Find My Processor, through to confidently tracking progress with the Hearing Tracker, or reducing noise from behind with ForwardFocus, users can experience unprecedented connectivity and performance.
In addition to the new performance features, the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is now available for the first time to people with a Nucleus 24 Series Implant. This means thousands more people from all over the world living with disabling hearing loss will be able to choose a Nucleus 7 Sound Processor for the first time.
"We are so pleased to continue to make the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor accessible to more people who will benefit from this world-first technology. Cochlear leads the way in bringing to market innovative hearing solutions that provide people with greater connectivity to the world around them," added Janssen.
The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is the world's smallest and lightest behind-the-ear cochlear implant sound processor4. This year the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor has received international acknowledgement from leading design and technology award bodies. This includes a Red Dot for Product Design 2018 and a Good Design Award® Best in Class in the Product Design category in recognition for outstanding design and innovation.
For additional information about the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor please visit www.hearyourway.com
About Cochlear Limited (ASX: COH)
Cochlear is the global leader in implantable hearing solutions. The company has a global workforce of more than 3,000 people and invests more than AUD$150 million a year in research and development. Products include hearing systems for cochlear implants, bone conduction implants and acoustic implants, which are designed to treat a range of moderate to profound types of hearing loss. Over 450,000 people of all ages, across more than 100 countries, now hear because of Cochlear.
About the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor
The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor works by detecting sounds which are then turned into electrical signals by the receiver-stimulator and sent to the brain by the electrode placed in the inner ear (cochlea).
Increasingly, evidence is showing cochlear implants for adults as an effective intervention for a much wider group of candidates than had previously been thought5. Today more than 450,000 people around the world can hear thanks to Cochlear's technology6. The company's cochlear implants are the most reliable in the industry7, which is one of many reasons why more people choose a Cochlear hearing solution than any other brand7.
The availability of the Nucleus 7 Sound Processor will differ from country to country. For more information and to learn more visit: www.cochlear.com/nucleus7
About Hearing Loss
Hearing loss represents a significant global health burden with 466 million people living with disabling hearing loss worldwide, and this figure is projected to grow to 900 million - one in every 10 people – by 20508. According to the World Health Organization, there are approximately 72 million people who could potentially benefit from the use of a hearing device, such as a cochlear implant or hearing aid9.
Please seek advice from your medical practitioner or health professional about treatments for hearing loss. They will be able to advise on a suitable solution for the hearing loss condition. All products should be used only as directed by your medical practitioner or health professional. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative
(+61) 498 021 795
(+61) 412 347 163
Head of Investor Relations
(+61) 2 9611 6691
- Apple Inc. 'Compatible hearing devices' [Internet]. Apple support. 30 March, 2018 [cited May 2018]. Available from: https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT201466#compatible
- Cochlear Limited.D1224199-1, NEO-XS Extensions System Project Version 7.0 RC1 System End to End Verification Report, 1.D. 2017, May; data on file.
- Cochlear Limited. D1376556.CLTD5709 Acceptance and Performance with the Nucleus 7 Cochlear Implant System with Adult Recipients. 2018 Jan; data on file.
- Cochlear Limited. D1190805.CP1000 Processor Size Comparison.2017 Mar; data on file.
- The Ear Foundation. Adult Cochlear Implantation: Evidence and experience / The Case for a Review of Provision. Available at: www.earfoundation.org.uk
- Cochlear Limited 2017. Cochlear 2017 Annual Report. Available at: https://www.cochlear.com/intl/about/investor/annual-reports
- Cochlear Limited. Cochlear Nucleus Implant Reliability Report, Volume 15, January 2017. 2017, Mar. [Latest generation of cochlear implants commercially available as at 30 January 2017.] Available at: https://www.cochlear.com/intl/home/discover/cochlear-implants/nucleus-6/nucleus-implant-portfolio/reliability-report
- World Health Organization. Deafness and Hearing Loss Factsheet [Internet]. Updated February 2018 [cited April 2018]. Available from: http://www.who.int/mediacentre/factsheets/fs300/en/
- World Health Organization. 10 Facts on Deafness [Internet]. Updated April 2017 [cited June 2017]. Available from: http://www.who.int/features/factfiles/deafness/en/
* The Nucleus Smart App is compatible with iPhone 5 (or later) and iPod 6th generation devices (or later) running iOS 10.0 or later. To use the Nucleus Smart App for Android, your device will need to run Android 5.0 (Lollipop) or later and support Bluetooth 4.0 or later. For a list of verified devices visit http://www.nucleussmartapp.com/android
** The Nucleus 7 Sound Processor is compatible with iPhone X, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 8, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 7, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6, iPhone SE, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5, iPad Pro (12.9-inch), iPad Pro (9.7-inch), iPad Air 2, iPad Air, iPad mini 4, iPad mini 3, iPad mini 2, iPad mini, iPad (4th generation) and iPod touch (6th generation) using iOS 10.0 or later.
Apple, the Apple logo, FaceTime, Made for iPad logo, Made for iPhone logo, Made for iPod logo, iPhone, iPad Pro, iPad Air, iPad mini, iPad and iPod touch are trademarks of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries. App Store is a service mark of Apple Inc., registered in the U.S. and other countries.
Android is a trademark of Google LLC. The Android robot is reproduced or modified from work created and shared by Google and used according to terms described in the Creative Commons 3.0 Attribution License.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc., and any use of such marks by Cochlear Limited is under license. Information accurate as of May 2018.
The trade name for cochlear implants manufactured by Cochlear is the Cochlear™ Nucleus® series cochlear implants.
Cochlear, Hear now. And always, Nucleus, Smart Sound, True Wireless and the elliptical logo are either trademarks or registered trademarks of Cochlear Limited.