Madison is enjoying the benefits of upgrading to a Nucleus® 5 System.
“Wow” was Madison’s first reaction after upgrading to a Nucleus® 5 implant from a Freedom® device. She says she loves the lightweight fit and the clearer sound, which means she hears her Mum’s voice in a whole new way. Madison says the difference is even greater between the internalised sound of her old hearing aids and the “normal” hearing she enjoys with the Nucleus 5 System.
Today Madison’s Mum says she’s an outstanding student who is having great success learning Italian. With the leading technology of her Nucleus 5 implant, Madison says she can listen to her iPod and hear the roaring waves of the ocean and important traffic noises when she’s driving. Madison says she even hears day-to-day sounds that her Mum, who wears hearing aids, misses.
Madison is one of thousands of cochlear implant recipients around the world who use the innovative Nucleus® 5 System. In fact, its outstanding implant reliability1-7 and hearing performance8-11 has made it first choice worldwide12.
We chose Cochlear because it’s what her audiologist and her surgeon recommended. Madison's miracle of sound is listening to her iPod.
At school she takes charge. Madison doesn’t need any special plans. She's in a normal school and she does very well.
Madison is very thrilled about driving. She has been driving about a year. She heard the siren coming up and at that point, because she's new to driving, she said, "What do I do, what do I do?!" But, the fact that she heard the siren and could get out of the way and do what she needed to do was very important.
It was really weird because after my surgery, I could hear my mom and it was like, WOW you sound really different!
It was so weird because a couple of years after I had this, I tried my hearing aid back on and I thought WOW, it sounds really weird because everybody sound like they were inside my head and now I feel really normal.
My Freedom, was a lot more bulky on my ear, so it was kind of bothering me and I always had to keep putting my hair back. The Nucleus 5, is thinner so I can put my hair back and it feels so much better. Just the way it sounds, it's a lot clearer too, so it's definitely worth the upgrade.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.
- Nucleus Reliability Report, Vol. 9, August 2011. Seven years of data, launched in 2005.
- Advanced Bionics - Auditory Reliability Report, February 2011. 5 years data, launched in 2005.
- MED-EL Website 2015 [cited March 2015]. Available from: URL: www.medel.com/us/reliability-reporting/
- Battmer RD et al. A multi-centre study of device failure in European cochlear implant centres. Ear Hear 2007 Apr;28(2 Suppl):95S-99S
- Cullen RD et al. Revision cochlear implant surgery in children. Otol Neurotol 2008;29(2):214-20.
- Battmer RD et al. A review of device failure in more than 23 years of clinical experience of a cochlear implant program with more Than 3,400 implantees. Otol Neurotol 2009 Jun;30(4):455-63.
- Ear Hear 2007 Apr;28(2 Suppl):95S-99S; Cullen RD et al. Revision cochlear implant surgery in children. Otol Neurotol 2008;29(2):214-20; Battmer RD et al. A review of device failure in more than 23 years of clinical experience of a cochlear implant program with more than 3,400 implantees. Otol Neurotol 2009 Jun;30(4):455-63.
- Balkany T et al. Nucleus Freedom North American clinical trial. Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg 2007;136(5):757-762.
- Pijil S et al. (2006) North American Freedom trial: Preliminary results adults. Cochlear Limited White Paper.
- Bassim MK et al. Med-EL Combi40+ Cochlear Implantation in Adults. Laryngoscope 2005;115:1568-1573.
- Seguin C et al. (2005). Patient performance with the Advanced Bionics HiRes 90K Helix 1 Device with HiFocus Perimodiolar (Helix) Electrode. Advanced Bionics White Paper.
- Cochlear Internal White Paper, November 2008.