Is it right for me?
If you have conductive hearing loss, mixed hearing loss, or single-sided deafness (SSD), a Baha® System could be the right solution for you.
Life has so much more to offer with a Baha System from Cochlear. It gives you freedom and confidence. You can listen to music, speak on the phone, enjoy a movie, eat out in a restaurant or café, go to a rock concert and socialise with your friends – without worrying about missing out on anything. In other words, your hearing loss won’t get in the way of living your life to the fullest.
Problems in the outer and/or middle ear can block or restrict the flow of sound waves, preventing them from getting through effectively to the inner ear. If you have this type of problem, you’ve got what’s called conductive hearing loss. You may be able to understand what’s being said, but only if people speak loud enough and there isn't too much background noise. Hearing aids may help, but sometimes not enough.
Conductive hearing loss can be caused by:
- A blockage in the ear canal, including earwax, infections or foreign bodies
- Ear infection or fluid in the middle ear (otitis media)
- Eustachian tube dysfunction
- A hole or perforation in the eardrum
- Otosclerosis – fusing of bones in the middle ear
- Malformation or dislocation of the middle ear bones
- A benign tumour or cholesteatoma, causing damage to the middle ear
- Atresia/microtia – a malformation of the outer ear or ear canal
The Baha System is a proven solution for conductive hearing loss in one or both ears. Instead of trying to push sound through the damaged area in the outer or middle ear, it reroutes the sound directly to the inner ear.
Compared to using a hearing aid, you can:
- Hear better, even in noisy situations
- Enjoy a clean, natural sound, because bypassing your problem reduces the amplification that’s needed
- Benefit from an effective solution proven by more than 30 years of experience
Single-sided deafness (SSD) is the loss of all, or almost all, hearing in one ear. You may have difficulty in locating sounds or hearing against background noise. SSD is usually caused by sensorineural hearing loss, when the inner ear - or less often, the hearing nerve – isn’t working correctly.
SSD can be caused by:
- Exposure to very loud noise
- Hereditary hearing loss (family-related or genetic)
- Ménière’s disease (a rare disorder affecting the inner ear)
- Acoustic neuroma (a benign tumor on the hearing nerve)
- Head injury
- Virus, infection or disease (e.g. measles, mumps, or labyrinthitis)
- Certain drugs or medications
- Autoimmune inner ear disease
The Baha System provides an effective solution for SSD. It can send sound across the skull bone to the inner ear that’s working on your hearing side. This gives you the benefit of all-round hearing through 360 degrees.
With this solution you will:
- Hear sounds as if they are coming from both sides, making it easier to communicate in noisy situations
- Become more aware of your surroundings, increasing your ability to hear important sounds you need to pick up
- No longer need to keep turning your ’good’ ear towards people when they speak
- Benefit from an effective solution proven by more than 35 years of experience
Mixed hearing loss is a combination of conductive and sensorineural hearing loss. This means that there may be damage in the outer or middle ear, and also in the inner ear or hearing nerve.
Please seek advice from your health professional about treatments for hearing loss. Outcomes may vary, and your health professional will advise you about the factors which could affect your outcome. Always read the instructions for use. Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative for product information.