MRI and Medical Considerations
Cochlear™ Baha® Attract (internal magnet)
The internal magnet in the Cochlear™ Baha® Attract System is MRI (Magnetic Resonance Imaging) conditional for up to 1.5 Tesla. Please inform your doctor or MRI technician of your system’s internal magnet upon scheduling an MRI appointment. For MRI scans above 1.5 Tesla, a simple procedure to remove the magnet may be necessary. Prior to receiving an MRI, please consult with your clinician about proper precautions.
Watch a video about MRI scans for Baha users.
Cochlear™ Baha® Connect (abutment)
If you are to undergo an MRI scan, remove the sound processor prior to the procedure. The implant and abutment remain in place. Prior to receiving an MRI, please consult with your clinician about proper precautions.
Other Medical Considerations for your Cochlear™ Baha® 5 System:
- The Cochlear™ Baha® 5 Sound Processor is a digital, electrical, medical instrument designed for specific use. As such, due care and attention must be exercised by the user at all times.
- Do not expose the sound processor to extreme temperatures. The sound processor is designed to operate within the temperature ranges +5°C (+41°F) to +40°C (+104°F). In particular, battery performance deteriorates in temperatures under +5°C. The processor should not be subject, at any time, to temperatures below -20°C (-4°F) or above +50°C (+122°F).
- This product is not suitable for use in flammable and/or explosive environments.
- Portable and mobile RF (radio frequency) communications equipment can affect the performance of your sound processor.
- The sound processor is suitable for use in electromagnetic environments with mains power of typical commercial or hospital quality, and power frequency magnetic fields of typical commercial or hospital levels. It is intended for use in an electromagnetic environment in which radiated RF (radio frequency) disturbances are controlled.
- The sound processor is not waterproof! Never wear it in heavy rain, in the bath or shower!
Special Considerations for the Cochlear™ Baha® 5 Connect System:
- The titanium implant of the Baha 5 Connect System is screwed from the outside into the bone. Because of this procedure, there is some risk of infection. With proper healing and normal precautions, this is not an issue for the great majority of recipients.