Learn about the innovative features & benefits of the Nucleus® 6 Implant System
The Nucleus® System, everything we've learned over 30 years makes it simply smarter
The Nucleus® System is the latest in a long history of Cochlear™ innovations, spanning over 30 years. The world has never seen a system this powerful. Or this smart. Cochlear implants can help bring back the sounds you're missing. With cochlear implants, you may once again enjoy conversations with friends and family, talk on the phone, hear the sounds of nature or see your child's face light up as they hear your voice for the very first time. Cochlear implants can seem like a hearing miracle.
- Improve sound clarity and speech understanding with Hybrid™ Hearing
- True Wireless connections
- An implant designed for preservation
- Cochlear Is #1 in reliability
- Hear your best in any environment - automatically
- Safety matters with MRI
- Hear your best - in both ears
- Water resistance
Improve sound clarity and speech understanding with Hybrid™ Hearing*
Cochlear™ Hybrid™ Hearing uses acoustic amplification to improve the hearing you may have after surgery, while taking advantage of cochlear implant technology to restore access to the hearing you’re missing. The result can be improved sound quality and speech recognition.
*The Acoustic Component should only be used when behavioral audiometric thresholds can be obtained and the recipient can provide feedback regarding sound quality
Enjoy True Wireless™ with no strings attached
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor can introduce you to a whole new wireless world. You can watch TV, talk on your smartphone and hear speech and conversation - all without the constraints of wires. Cochlear™ is the first company that provides a truly wireless experience and uses the same 2.4GHz wireless protocol that Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi devices depend on. That means a clear, secure connection without interference and signal drops.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Cochlear is under license.
An implant designed just for you
The internal cochlear implant is made of up two primary components: the implant receiver/stimulator and the cochlear electrode array.
- The implant receiver/stimulator, placed just under the skin, converts the digital sound signals picked up from the external sound processor and sends them down the electrode.
- The electrode is inserted into the cochlea, stimulates the cochlea through “contacts” and sends impulses directly to the hearing nerve where they are perceived as sound.
As the creators of the first multichannel cochlear implant, we understand the need for advanced options of implants and electrode arrays. With hearing performance in mind, we continue to innovate our technology to improve upon our implant and electrode design. Examples of our innovations are our perimodiolar electrodes that are placed closest to the hearing nerve for an optimal hearing performance, including our Cochlear™ Nucleus® Slim Modiolar Electrode.
In addition to our range of electrode arrays, we also offer the Nucleus® Profile Implant - the thinnest implant available1-3. The Profile contours to the curvature of the head for added comfort and is very impact resistant. The Nucleus Profile further expands what is the industry's largest cochlear implant portfolio and provides surgeons more choices to fit your needs.
Cochlear is #1 in reliability4-9
When you’re considering a cochlear implant, you want to know all the facts, especially when it comes to the reliability of the implant you are choosing. The fact is, our Nucleus CI24RE cochlear implant is more reliable than anything else available today.4-6
What’s more important is reliability over time. We design our Cochlear Implants to last a lifetime, and our long-term reliability records reflect that.
- Our Nucleus CI24RE Cochlear Implant boasts a 99.2% reliability rating at 9 years 4
- Most trusted and chosen implants with over 285,000 devices implanted worldwide4
All cochlear implant manufacturers have demonstrated the capability to build a reliable implant for one year, but only the Nucleus Implant has demonstrated a strong reliability rating over time.4
A sound processor that adapts to your world – Automatically
Every place is different, with different sounds. One minute you could be walking down a quiet street and the next, you’re stepping into a crowded restaurant. You’re constantly moving into different listening environments, and you want your sound processor to adapt to all of them – effortlessly. Our SmartSound® iQ* and dual-microphone technologies are designed to do just that.
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor uses dual-microphone zoom technology to help filter out background noise to optimize your hearing experience. The synchronized microphones work together to reduce sound from behind and to the sides so you hear more of what you want.
The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor has the world’s first Scene Classifier in the cochlear implant industry that automatically scans your surroundings and identifies the listening environment as one of six scenes. SmartSound iQ then adjusts the setting for that scene to provide you optimal hearing for that situation without the need for manual adjustments to the sound processor. It’s this advanced technology that makes the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor simply smarter.
*SNR-NR and WNR are approved for use with any recipient ages 6 years and older, who is able to 1) complete objective speech perception testing in quiet and in noise in order to determine and document performance 2) report a preference for different program settings. SCAN is FDA approved for use with any recipient age 6 years old and older, to be used at the discretion of the recipient/parent/caregiver.
Safety matters with MRI
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a common medical imaging procedure. MRI machines use a powerful magnet to provide detailed images of a person’s internal organs and tissue. Because of this powerful magnet, 97% of radiology professionals surveyed do not recommend MRI scans for patients with magnets in their body.10
In fact, 85% of radiology professionals agree they have an alternate diagnostic tool for patients who cannot undergo an MRI due to having a device or implant with a magnet.10 However, on the rare occasion that you may need an MRI, you can have peace of mind that Cochlear™ Nucleus® Implants are compatible with an MRI of 3.0 Tesla with the magnet removed. If it is desired to keep the magnet in place, Nucleus Implants are also approved for an MRI of 1.5 Tesla with the magnet in place, using our MRI Kit.
There are risks in keeping the internal cochlear implant magnet in place during an MRI which is why we believe the gold standard is to remove the magnet.
Risks involved with leaving the magnet in during an MRI include:
- Pain or discomfort during the MRI procedure11
- Pulling or movement of the magnet underneath the skin11 which could put the placement of the internal electrode at risk
- Reversal of magnet polarity or demagnetization11 requiring a procedure to replace the magnet
- Decreased quality of the MRI image due to shadow that the implant magnet may cast on the desired area12
Because of these risks, we have designed our implants specifically for safe and easy magnet removal.
Cochlear Nucleus Implants are designed with the safety and comfort of the patient in mind, today and into the future. That’s why more people choose Cochlear than any other hearing implant company.13,14
Hear your best – In both ears
Hearing with both ears offers a clear advantage, especially when it comes to distinguishing where sound is coming from and understanding speech in noisy environments.
Depending on your degree of hearing loss, you may benefit from bimodal hearing, which is using a hearing aid in one ear and a cochlear implant in the other ear. Or, you may find it more beneficial to have a cochlear implant in both ears (bilateral cochlear implants). With both bimodal hearing and bilateral cochlear implants, you may find that understanding speech is much easier and that you’re able to enjoy a more complete hearing experience, especially in noisy environments.
For those individuals who have a Cochlear Implant in one ear and still receive benefit from a hearing aid in the other ear (bimodal hearing), Cochlear has partnered with GN ReSound to pioneer the world’s smartest bimodal hearing solutions with SMARTstream™ technology.
Whether you use a hearing aid, cochlear implants or a combination of the two, the Nucleus System can help you continue to experience the benefits of hearing with both ears for years to come.
Come on in . . . the water's fine
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor is treated with an innovative nano-coating that provides the ultimate protective barrier against water damage. With an IP57* water-resistant rating, the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor lets you experience the outdoors, relax in the bath or allows your child to join in on the summer fun. All with added peace of mind.
And with the simple addition of the Cochlear™ Nucleus® Aqua+, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is designed to be completely waterproof.** Don’t just stand there, grab your board or your mask and flippers and dive in.
*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Can be submerged in up to 3 feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. Not intended for swimming.
**The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor with the Nucleus Aqua+ is water resistant to level IP68 of the International Standard IEC60529. This water protection only applies when you use the Nucleus Aqua+ and rechargeable batteries without the acoustic component.
A processor so smart, it can tell you where it's been
It can be hard to remember what happened yesterday, let alone the last month. With data logging, you don’t have to. It records exactly how your sound processor is being used every day. It fills in all the gaps, so your audiologist gets a more complete picture of your hearing experiences, and makes any necessary adjustments so you can hear your best.
For parents, the data logging functionality provides added confidence that your child is hearing their best at all times. For the first time ever, key information about your child’s Nucleus® System can be downloaded by your audiologist for evaluation. This is a minute-to-minute, comprehensive record that lets the audiologist know how your child is using the system and if it’s being used correctly, especially when you cannot be with them.
The breakthroughs will continue
No one has advanced the science of hearing implants longer than Cochlear. Or pushed it further. And those advancements will continue.
To further our focus on innovation, we built the largest hearing research and development center in the world. Sound processors will become more and more powerful, even as they continue to get smaller and smaller. We design our sound processors so you will be able to upgrade to future technologies. That's the promise we make when we say, "Hear now. And always".
30 years and five sound processor upgrades later, one of our first patients is living proof of our lifetime commitment to you.
Graham Carrick is profoundly deaf. And yet he can hear, thanks to the cochlear implant he got in 1982. Since that remarkable day when he heard his daughter’s voice for the very first time, Graham’s life has never been the same. Everything is so much better than he ever dreamed. We’re proud to say we were with him every step of the way.
And we’ll be there with you, too.
Built to be strong and durable
To truly experience a world of sound, you have to get out there and explore the world around you. That’s exactly what the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor was designed to handle. The Nucleus® 6 is built on a titanium foundation – the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal. It’s strong enough for whatever adventure life has in store for you. For even more peace of mind, it’s backed up with a 5-year warranty that’s just as strong.*
You can worry less with the most comprehensive warranty out there. In keeping with our promise to Hear now. And always, your Nucleus® 6 System comes with a no questions asked 5-year warranty.*
The 5-year warranty covers your:
|✓ Sound processor||✓Magnet|
|✓Cable||✓Battery Holder & Cover|
The world's smallest behind-the-ear sound processor*
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor is the smallest behind-the-ear sound processor the world has ever seen.* It’s light and comfortable with a choice of rechargeable or disposable batteries so you can wear it all day, every day. You can even worry less because both your sound processor and your remote assistant come with a 5-year warranty.†
*With compact rechargeable battery option.
Accessories that let you hear just the way you want
From colors to covers and remote assistants to remote controls, our wide array of accessories makes sure your Nucleus 6 Sound Processor fits your unique personality and hearing loss.
You also have the opportunity to use your sound processor before making your final accessory selection. Our Plus One program allows you to save an accessory choice for a future date.
- Cochlear™ Nucleus® Profile – CI512 Implant Spec Sheet, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 10].
- Technical Specifications.HiResolution™ Bionic Ear System by Advanced Bionics, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 5]. Available from: http://www.shablulim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/028-M129-03_CI-System-Tech-Specs-Brochure.pdf.
- Concerto. World’s Smallest & Lightest Titanium Implant, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 5]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/data/pdf/22676.pdf.
- Cochlear Ltd. Cochlear™ Nucleus® Reliability Report, Vol. 14, 2016 February,[PDF-Internet] [cited 2016 June 24]. Available from: http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/intl/home/discover/cochlear-implants/nucleus-6/nucleus-implant-portfolio/reliability-report.
- Advanced Bionics. Advanced Bionics 2015 Cochlear Implant Device Reliability Report, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2016 June 24]. 028-M719-02. Available https://www.advancedbionics.com/content/dam/ab/Global/en_ce/documents/candidate/AB_2015_Cochlear_Implant_Reliability_Report.pdf.
- [Image-Internet] MED-EL 2016 April. [cited 2016 June 24]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/us/reliability-reporting.
- Battmer RD, O’Donoghue GM, Lenarz T. A multicenter study of device failure in European cochlear implant centres. Ear Hear 2007 Apr;28(2 Suppl):95S-99S.
- Cullen RD, Fayad JN, Luxford WM,Buchman CA. Revisioncochlear implant surgery in children. Otol Neurotol 2008 Feb;29(2):214-20.
- Battmer RD, Linz B, Lenarz T. A review of device failure in more than 23 years of clinical experience of a cochlear implant program with more than 3,400 implantees. Otol Neurotol 2009 Jun;30(4):455-63.
- Radiology Poll conducted by Penn, Schoen, Berland, August 2015. Data on File.
- Bo Gyung Kim, M.P., Jin Won Kim, M., Jeong Jin Park, M., Sung Huhn Kim, M.P., Hee Nam Kim, M.P., & Jae Young Choi, M.P. (2014) Adverse events and discomfort during magnetic resonance imaging in cochlear implant recipients. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery. Published online November 20, 2014. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2014.2926.
- F. Risi, A. S. (2004) Magnetic resonance imaging safety of Nucleus 24 cochlear implants at 3.0 T International Congress Series. International Congress Series 1273, (pp. 394-398)
- Cochlear Americas: Market Share [Data on file] 2016 May.
- Cochlear Annual Report. [Internet: pdf document]. Cochlear Limited; 2015 August. Available from www.Cochlear.com
- The Nucleus Freedom Cochlear Implant Surveillance Trial Results. 2008 June.