Learn About the Innovative Features & Benefits of the Nucleus® 6 System
Experience Clearer Sound and A Lifetime Of Better Hearing
When a crucial part of your inner ear isn’t working properly, you may need more than a hearing aid, especially if you have moderate to profound hearing loss in both ears, which is often misunderstood as "nerve deafness". This type of hearing loss can make speech more difficult to understand, especially in noisy situations.
Hearing aids often do not benefit you if you have this type of hearing loss because a hearing aid can only amplify the sounds you hear, including background noise. A cochlear implant is designed to make sounds not only louder but also clearer by replacing the function of the damaged inner ear. In fact, a clinical study of Cochlear Nucleus Implant users clearly shows the remarkable improvement in noisy environments.1
With cochlear implants, you may get back the sounds you’re missing and once again enjoy conversations with family and friends, talk on the phone, enjoy music and hear the sounds of nature.
Covered by Insurance
Unlike hearing aids, cochlear implants are covered by most insurance plans, Medicare and typically Medicaid.* We have a dedicated Insurance Support Team that can help you navigate the appeals process if you are denied coverage. Find more information here.
*Contact your insurance company or local Hearing Implant Specialist to determine your eligibility for coverage.
Read on to discover the features and benefits that make the Nucleus 6 System simply smarter.
- The World's Smallest Sound Processor
- True Wireless Connections
- Hear Your Best In Any Environment - Automatically
- Benefits of Data Logging
- Water Resistance
- Accessories That Let You Personalize
- Convenient Remote Assistants
- Versatile Battery Options
- Built to Be Strong and Durable
- 5-year, No-Questions-Asked Warranty
- Hear Your Best - In Both Ears
- Cochlear Is #1 In Reliability
- An Implant Designed for Preservation
- Safety Matters With MRI
- The Breakthroughs Will Continue
The World’s Smallest Sound Processor*
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor is the smallest sound processor the world has ever seen*. Nothing fits your head better or more discreetly. It’s light and comfortable with a choice of rechargeable or disposable batteries so you can wear it all day, every day. You can even worry less because both your sound processor and your remote assistant come with a 5-year warranty†.
*With compact rechargeable battery option.
Enjoy True Wireless™ Freedom With No Strings Attached
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor can introduce you to a whole new wireless world with our 2.4 GHz Cochlear™ True Wireless™ technology. You can watch TV, talk on your smartphone and hear speech and conversation – all without the constraints of wires or bulky neck-worn components that you find with less advanced wireless systems. You’ll be able to focus less on hearing and more on what’s important: life...
Cochlear is the first company that provides this truly wireless experience and uses the same 2.4 GHz wireless protocol that Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi devices depend on. That means a clear, secure connection without interference and signal drops. Just pair any one of the Cochlear True Wireless accessories with your Nucleus 6 sound processor for hassle-free audio connections.
Cochlear True Wireless accessories include the Mini Microphone 2, Mini Microphone 2+, the Phone Clip and TV Streamer. Learn more about Cochlear™ True Wireless™.
The Bluetooth® word mark and logos are registered trademarks owned by Bluetooth SIG, Inc. and any use of such marks by Cochlear is under license.
A Sound Processor That Adapts To Your World – Automatically
Every place is different, with different sounds. One minute you could be walking down a quiet street and the next, you’re stepping into a crowded restaurant. You’re constantly moving into different listening environments, and you want your sound processor to adapt to all of them – effortlessly. Our SmartSound® iQ* and dual-microphone technologies are designed to do just that.
The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor has the world’s first Scene Classifier in the cochlear implant industry that automatically scans your surroundings and identifies the listening environment as one of six scenes. SmartSound iQ then adjusts the setting for that scene to provide you optimal hearing for that situation without the need for manual adjustments to the sound processor. It’s this advanced technology that makes the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor simply smarter.
*SNR-NR and WNR are approved for use with any recipient ages 6 years and older, who is able to 1) complete objective speech perception testing in quiet and in noise in order to determine and document performance 2) report a preference for different program settings. SCAN is FDA approved for use with any recipient age 6 years old and older, to be used at the discretion of the recipient/parent/caregiver.
A Processor So Smart, It Can Tell You Where It’s Been
It can be hard to remember what happened yesterday, let alone the last month. With data logging, you don’t have to. It records exactly how your sound processor is being used every day. It fills in all the gaps, so your audiologist gets a more complete picture of your hearing experiences, and makes any necessary adjustments so you can hear your best.
For parents, the data logging functionality provides added confidence that your child is hearing their best at all times. For the first time ever, key information about your child’s Nucleus® System can be downloaded by your audiologist for evaluation.This is a minute-to-minute, comprehensive record that lets the audiologist know how your child is using the system and if it’s being used correctly, especially when you cannot be with them.
Come On In…The Water’s Fine
There’s something soothing about hearing a rock skip across a pond. Or even the calm of a warm bath. So the last thing you need to be worried about around water is your Cochlear Implant. With an IP57* water-resistant rating, the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor lets you experience the outdoors or relax in the bath. All with added peace of mind.
As a parent, you don't want your kid to miss out on summer activities like swimming at a friend’s house, going to the beach or joining a group trip to a waterpark. The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor allows your child the ability to splash around, play in the waves and go careening down a water slide. All you need to worry about is getting them to put on sunscreen.
And with the simple addition of the new Cochlear™ Nucleus® Aqua+, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is designed to be completely waterproof.** Don’t just stand there, grab your board or your mask and flippers and dive in.
*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Can be submerged in up to 3 feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. Not intended for swimming.
**The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor with the Nucleus Aqua+ is water resistant to level IP68 of the International Standard IEC60529. This water protection only applies when you use the Nucleus Aqua+ and rechargeable batteries without the acoustic component.
Accessories That Let You Hear Just The Way You Want
Whether you want to be discreet or live out loud, the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor allows you to do both. With a wide range of colors and sound processor covers to choose from, you can have a different look every day.
The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is small and fits securely and discreetly behind your ear. And with our range of soft earhooks that have been ergonomically designed, it’s as comfortable as it is discreet.
In addition, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor comes with disposable batteries that last for up to 60 hours of life, so you can wear it all day without worry.
You also have the opportunity to use your sound processor before making your final accessory selection. Our Plus One program allows you to save an accessory choice for a future date.
Convenient Remote Assistants
To help you feel confident your hearing is optimized and your Nucleus® System is working properly, we designed the Nucleus 6 with another industry first, our two-way remote assistants.You have two to choose from.The advanced remote assistant puts you in control of monitoring and managing your hearing with built-in diagnostics, simple navigation and troubleshooting features.
The pocket-size remote control allows you to adjust your settings without touching the sound processor.
Battery Options For All Occasions
Select one or use all three battery options to give you greater flexibility. The standard disposable battery can last up to three days*, or you can go green with rechargeable batteries that come in two sizes – standard and compact.
Built To Be Strong And Durable
To truly experience a world of sound, you have to get out there and explore the world around you. That’s exactly what the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor was designed to handle. With a special water-repellant nano-coating, the Nucleus 6 is resistant against water, sweat and humidity all the time. And, built on a titanium foundation – the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal – it’s strong enough for whatever adventure life has in store for you. For even more peace of mind, it’s backed up with a 5-year warranty that’s just as strong.*
5-year, No Questions Asked Warranty*
You can worry less with the most comprehensive warranty out there. In keeping with our promise to Hear now And always, your Nucleus® 6 System comes with a no questions asked 5-year warranty.*
The 5-year warranty covers your:
|✓ Sound processor||✓Magnet|
|✓Cable||✓Battery Holder & Cover|
Hear Your Best – In Both Ears
Hearing with both ears offers a clear advantage, especially when it comes to distinguishing where sound is coming from and understanding speech in noisy environments.
Depending on your degree of hearing loss, you may benefit from bimodal hearing, which is using a hearing aid in one ear and a cochlear implant in the other ear. Or, you may find it more beneficial to have a cochlear implant in both ears (bilateral cochlear implants). With both bimodal hearing and bilateral cochlear implants, you may find that understanding speech is much easier, and that you’re able to enjoy a more complete hearing experience, especially in noisy environments.
For those individuals who have a Cochlear Implant in one ear and still receive benefit from a hearing aid in the other ear (bimodal hearing), Cochlear has partnered with GN ReSound to pioneer the world’s smartest bimodal hearing solutions with SMARTstream™ technology.
Whether you use a hearing aid, cochlear implants or a combination of the two, the Nucleus System can help you continue to experience the benefits of hearing with both ears for years to come.
Cochlear Is #1 In Reliability2-7
When you’re considering a cochlear implant, you want to know all the facts, especially when it comes to the reliability of the implant you are choosing. The fact is, our Nucleus CI24RE Cochlear Implant is more reliable than anything else available today – two times more reliable.2-4
What’s more important is reliability over time. We design our Cochlear Implants to last a lifetime, and our long-term reliability records reflect that.
- Our Nucleus CI24RE Cochlear Implant boasts a 99.1% reliability rating at 11 years2
- Most trusted and chosen Implant with over 450,000 devices implanted worldwide8,9
All cochlear implant manufacturers have demonstrated the capability to build a reliable implant for one year, but only the Nucleus Implant has demonstrated a strong reliability rating over time.2
An Implant Designed Just For You
The internal cochlear implant is made of up two primary components: the implant receiver and the cochlear electrode array.
- The implant receiver, placed just under the skin, converts the digital sound signals picked up from the external sound processor and sends them down the electrode.
- The electrode is inserted into the cochlea, stimulates the cochlea through “contacts” and sends impulses directly to the hearing nerve where they are perceived as sound.
As the creators of the first multichannel cochlear implant, we understand the need for advanced options of implants and electrode arrays. Our scientists know the natural curves of the cochlea come in all different shapes and sizes which is why they’ve designed a wide range of electrodes to make sure your surgeon can pick the appropriate one to give you the greatest sound resolution and coverage in your inner ear.10-12
In addition to our range of electrode arrays, we also offer the Nucleus® Profile Implant - the thinnest implant available13-15. The Profile contours the curvature of the head for added comfort, and is very impact resistant. The Nucleus Profile further expands what is the industry's largest cochlear implant portfolio and provides surgeons more choices to fit your needs.
Safety Matters With MRI
Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) is a common medical imaging procedure. MRI machines use a powerful magnet to provide detailed images of a person’s internal organs and tissue. Because of this powerful magnet, 97% of radiology professionals surveyed do not recommend MRI scans for patients with magnets in their body.16
In fact, 85% of radiology professionals agree they have an alternate diagnostic tool for patients who cannot undergo an MRI due to having a device or implant with a magnet.16 However, on the rare occasion that you may need an MRI, you can have the peace of mind that Cochlear™ Nucleus® Implants are compatible with an MRI of 1.5 Tesla with the magnet removed. There are risks in keeping the internal cochlear implant magnet in place during an MRI which is why we believe the gold standard is to remove the magnet.
Risks involved with leaving the magnet in during an MRI include:
- Pain or discomfort during the MRI procedure17
- Pulling or movement of the magnet underneath the skin17 which could put the placement of the internal electrode at risk
- Reversal of magnet polarity or demagnetization17 requiring a procedure to replace the magnet
- Decreased quality of the MRI image due to shadow that the implant magnet may cast on the desired area18
Because of these risks, we have designed our implants specifically for safe and easy magnet removal. That’s another reason why more people choose Cochlear than all the other hearing implant companies combined.8,19
Cochlear Nucleus Implants are designed with the safety and comfort of the patient in mind, today and into the future.
The Breakthroughs Will Continue
No one has advanced the science of hearing implants longer than Cochlear. Or pushed it further. And those advancements will continue.
To further our focus on innovation, we built the largest hearing research and development center in the world. Sound processors will become more and more powerful, even as they continue to get smaller and smaller. We design our sound processors so you will be able to upgrade to future technologies. That's the promise we make when we say, "Hear now. And always".
30 years and five sound processor upgrades later, one of our first patients is living proof of our lifetime commitment to you.
Graham Carrick is profoundly deaf. And yet he can hear, thanks to the cochlear implant he got in 1982. Since that remarkable day when he heard his daughter’s voice for the very first time, Graham’s life has never been the same. Everything is so much better than he ever dreamed. We’re proud to say we were with him every step of the way.
And we’ll be there with you, too.
- The Nucleus Freedom Cochlear Implant Surveillance Trial Results. 2008 June.
- Cochlear Ltd. Cochlear™ Nucleus® Reliability Report, vol.13, 2015 February,[PDF-Internet] [as of May 15, 2015] [cited 2015 May 15]. Available from: http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/intl/home/discover/cochlear-implants/nucleus-6/nucleus-implant-portfolio/reliability-report.
- Advanced Bionics. Advanced Bionics 2014 Cochlear ImplantDevice Reliability Reportte, HiRes 90K Supplier A Post-2005 modifications, [PDF-Internet] [as of May 2, 2014 cited 2014 Dec 2]. 028-M476-03. Available from: http://www.advancedbionics.com/content/dam/ab/Global/en_ce/documents/candidate/AB_Reliability_Report.pdf
- [Image-Internet] MED-EL 2015 February. [cited 2015 May 15]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/us/reliability-reporting.
- Battmer RD, O’Donoghue GM, Lenarz T. A multicenter study of device failure in European cochlear implant centres. Ear Hear 2007 Apr;28(2 Suppl):95S-99S.
- Cullen RD, Fayad JN, Luxford WM,Buchman CA. Revisioncochlear implant surgery in children. Otol Neurotol 2008 Feb;29(2):214-20.
- Battmer RD, Linz B, Lenarz T. A review of device failure in more than 23 years of clinical experience of a cochlear implant program with more than 3,400 implantees. Otol Neurotol 2009 Jun;30(4):455-63.
- Cochlear Americas [Data on file] 2012 March.
- Cochlear global registration, all devices, [Data on file].
- Shannon, R. V., Fu, Q., J., Galvin, J. The number of spectral channels required for speech recognition depends on the difficulty of the listening situation. Acta Otolaryngologica, 2004. 552: p. 50-54.
- Briggs R et al. Implantation & Explantation Bone Study of the Nucleus 24 Contour with Softip. Poster presented at the 9th Symposium Cochlear Implants in Children, Washington D.C. April 24-26, 2003.
- Pfingst, B. E., Bowling, S. A ., Colesa, D. J., Garadat, S. N., Raphael, Y., Shibata, S. B., Strahl, S. B., Su, G. L., Zhou, N. Cochlear infrastructure for electrical hearing. Hearing Research, 2011. 281: p. 65-73.
- Cochlear™ Nucleus® Profile – CI512 Implant Spec Sheet, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 10].
- Technical Specifications.HiResolution™ Bionic Ear System by Advanced Bionics, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 5]. Available from: http://www.shablulim.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/11/028-M129-03_CI-System-Tech-Specs-Brochure.pdf.
- 15. Concerto. World’s Smallest & Lightest Titanium Implant, [PDF-Internet] [cited 2015 Jan 5]. Available from: http://www.medel.com/data/pdf/22676.pdf.
- Radiology Poll conducted by Penn, Schoen, Berland, August 2015. Data on File.
- Bo Gyung Kim, M.P., Jin Won Kim, M., Jeong Jin Park, M., Sung Huhn Kim, M.P., Hee Nam Kim, M.P., & Jae Young Choi, M.P. (2014) Adverse events and discomfort during magnetic resonance imaging in cochlear implant recipients. JAMA Otolaryngol Head Neck Surgery. Published online November 20, 2014. doi: 10.1001/jamaoto.2014.2926.
- F. Risi, A. S. (2004) Magnetic resonance imaging safety of Nucleus 24 cochlear implants at 3.0 T International Congress Series. International Congress Series 1273, (pp. 394-398)
- Cochlear Annual Report. [Internet: pdf document]. Cochlear Limited; 2014 September. Available from www.Cochlear.com