The breakthroughs continue with the Nucleus® 6 System.
Better Than a Hearing Aid1
When a crucial part of your inner ear isn’t working properly, you may need more than a hearing aid. Especially if you have severe to profound sensorineural hearing loss in both ears commonly called “nerve deafness”.
Because all a hearing aid does is amplify sound. It makes everything louder, including background noise. This is where a cochlear implant can really seem like a miracle worker. It’s designed to not only make sounds louder, but clearer.
In fact, a clinical study of Cochlear™ Nucleus® Implant recipients clearly shows the remarkable difference, both in noisy and quiet environments.1
And unlike hearing aids, cochlear implants are covered by most insurance plans, Medicare and typically Medicaid.We also have a dedicated Insurance Support Team that can help you seek insurance coverage or navigate through the appeals process if you are denied coverage.
- The World's Smallest Sound Processor
- True Wireless Connections
- Hear Your Best In Any Environment - Automatically
- Benefits of Data Logging
- Water Resistance
- Accessories That Let You Personalize
- Convenient Remote Assistants
- Versatile Battery Options
- Built to Be Strong and Durable
- 5-year, No-Questions-Asked Warranty
- Cochlear Is #1 In Reliability
- An Implant Designed for Preservation
- The First Implant Approved For MRI’s Up To 1.5 Tesla
- The Breakthroughs Will Continue
The World’s Smallest Sound Processor*
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor is the smallest sound processor the world has ever seen*. Nothing fits your head better or more discreetly. It’s light and comfortable with a choice of rechargeable or disposable batteries so you can wear it all day, every day. You can even worry less because both your sound processor and your remote assistant come with a 5-year warranty†.
*With compact rechargeable battery option.
Enjoy True Wireless Freedom With No Strings Attached
The Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor can introduce you to a whole new wireless world with our 2.4 GHz true wireless technology. You can watch TV, talk on your smartphone and hear speech and conversation – all without the constraints of wires or bulky neck-worn components that you find with less advanced wireless systems. You’ll be able to focus less on hearing and more on what’s important: life...
Cochlear is the first company that provides this truly wireless experience and uses the same 2.4 GHz wireless protocol that Bluetooth® and Wi-Fi devices depend on. That means a clear, secure connection without interference and signal drops. Just pair any one of the Cochlear Wireless Accessories with your Nucleus 6 sound processor for hassle-free audio connections.
The Cochlear Wireless Accessories include the Phone Clip, Mini Microphone and TV Streamer. Learn more about Cochlear True Wireless and Wireless Accessories.
A Sound Processor That Adapts To Your World – Automatically
Every place is different, with different sounds. One minute you could be walking down a quiet street and the next, you’re stepping into a crowded restaurant. You’re constantly moving into different listening environments, and you want your sound processor to adapt to all of them – effortlessly. Our SmartSound® iQ* and dual-microphone technologies are designed to do just that.
The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor has the world’s first Scene Classifier in the cochlear implant industry that automatically scans your surroundings and identifies the listening environment as one of six scenes. SmartSound iQ then adjusts the setting for that scene to provide you optimal hearing for that situation without the need for manual adjustments to the sound processor. It’s this advanced technology that makes the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor simply smarter.
*SmartSound iQ and Scene Classifier is approved in the US for use only with the Nucleus Hybrid L24 Implant.
A Processor So Smart, It Can Tell You Where It’s Been
It can be hard to remember what happened yesterday, let alone the last month. With data logging, you don’t have to. It records exactly how your sound processor is being used every day. It fills in all the gaps, so your audiologist gets a more complete picture of your hearing experiences, and makes any necessary adjustments so you can hear your best.
For parents, the data logging functionality provides added confidence that your child is hearing their best at all times. For the first time ever, key information about your child’s Nucleus® System can be downloaded by your audiologist for evaluation.This is a minute-to-minute, comprehensive record that lets the audiologist know how your child is using the system and if it’s being used correctly, especially when you cannot be with them.
Come On In…The Water’s Fine
There’s something soothing about hearing a rock skip across a pond. Or even the calm of a warm bath. So the last thing you need to be worried about around water is your Cochlear Implant. With an IP57* water-resistant rating, the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor lets you experience the outdoors or relax in the bath. All with added peace of mind.
As a parent, you don't want your kid to miss out on summer activities like swimming at a friend’s house, going to the beach or joining a group trip to a waterpark. The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor allows your child the ability to splash around, play in the waves and go careening down a water slide. All you need to worry about is getting them to put on sunscreen.
And with the simple addition of the new Cochlear™ Nucleus® Aqua+, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is designed to be completely waterproof.** Don’t just stand there, grab your board or your mask and flippers and dive in.
*With rechargeable sound processor battery option. Can be submerged in up to 3 feet of still water for up to 30 minutes. Not intended for swimming.
**The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor with the Nucleus Aqua+ is water resistant to level IP68 of the International Standard IEC60529. This water protection only applies when you use the Nucleus Aqua+ and rechargeable batteries without the acoustic component.
Accessories That Let You Hear Just The Way You Want
Whether you want to be discreet or live out loud, the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor allows you to do both. With a wide range of colors and sound processor covers to choose from, you can have a different look every day.
The Nucleus 6 Sound Processor is small and fits securely and discreetly behind your ear.And with our range of soft earhooks that have been ergonomically designed, it’s as comfortable as it is discreet.
In addition, the Nucleus 6 Sound Processor comes with disposable batteries that last for up to 60 hours of life, so you can wear it all day without worry.
You also have the opportunity to use your sound processor before making your final accessory selection. Our Plus One program allows you to save an accessory choice for a future date.
Convenient Remote Assistants
To help you feel confident your hearing is optimized and your Nucleus® System is working properly, we designed the Nucleus 6 with another industry first, our two-way remote assistants.You have two to choose from.The advanced remote assistant puts you in control of monitoring and managing your hearing with built-in diagnostics, simple navigation and troubleshooting features.
The pocket-size remote control allows you to adjust your settings without touching the sound processor.
Battery Options For All Occasions
Select one or use all three battery options to give you greater flexibility. The standard disposable battery can last up to three days*, or you can go green with rechargeable batteries that come in two sizes – standard and compact.
Built To Be Strong And Durable
To truly experience a world of sound, you have to get out there and explore the world around you. That’s exactly what the Nucleus® 6 Sound Processor was designed to handle. With a special water-repellant nano-coating, the Nucleus 6 is resistant against water, sweat and humidity all the time. And, built on a titanium foundation – the highest strength-to-weight ratio of any metal – it’s strong enough for whatever adventure life has in store for you. For even more peace of mind, it’s backed up with a 5-year warranty that’s just as strong.*
5-year, No Questions Asked Warranty*
You can worry less with the most comprehensive warranty out there. In keeping with our promise to Hear now And always, your Nucleus® 6 System comes with a no questions asked 5-year warranty.*
The 5-year warranty covers your:
|✓ Sound processor||✓Magnet|
|✓Cable||✓Battery Holder & Cover|
Cochlear Is #1 In Reliability2-7
When you’re considering a cochlear implant, you want to know all the facts, especially when it comes to the reliability of the implant you are choosing. The fact is, our Nucleus CI24RE Cochlear Implant is more reliable than anything else available today – two times more reliable.2-4
What’s more important is reliability over time. We design our Cochlear Implants to last a lifetime, and our long-term reliability records reflect that.
- Our Nucleus CI24RE Cochlear Implant boasts a 99% reliability rating at 10 years2
- Most trusted and chosen Implant with over 350,000 devices implanted worldwide8,9
All cochlear implant manufacturers have demonstrated the capability to build a reliable implant for one year, but only the Nucleus Implant has demonstrated a strong reliability rating over time.2
The Perfect Implant For Your Ear
As the creators of the first multichannel cochlear implant, our scientists know the natural curves of the cochlea come in all different shapes and sizes. That’s why they’ve designed the widest range of electrodes to make sure your surgeon can pick the perfect one to give you the greatest sound resolution and coverage in your inner ear.10-12
It’s a proven variety of straight, pre-curved and thin electrode configurations all designed to let you distinguish a greater number of pitches and maximize your hearing performance.13,14
The First Implant Approved For MRI’s Up To 1.5 Tesla
An MRI is an important medical tool. So a cochlear implant shouldn’t keep you from getting one. Our implant has been approved for the most common scan level of 1.5 Tesla with the magnet removed.
The Breakthroughs Will Continue
No one has advanced the science of hearing implants longer than Cochlear. Or pushed it further. And those advancements will continue.
To further our focus on innovation, we built the largest hearing research and development center in the world. Sound processors will become more and more powerful, even as they continue to get smaller and smaller. We design our sound processors so you will be able to upgrade to future technologies. That's the promise we make when we say, "Hear now. And always".
30 years and five sound processor upgrades later, one of our first patients is living proof of our lifetime commitment to you.
Graham Carrick is profoundly deaf. And yet he can hear, thanks to the cochlear implant he got in 1982. Since that remarkable day when he heard his daughter’s voice for the very first time, Graham’s life has never been the same. Everything is so much better than he ever dreamed. We’re proud to say we were with him every step of the way.
And we’ll be there with you, too.
1. FDA Panel Sponsor Executive Summary, Nucleus Hybrid L24Implant System [Internet]. 2013 November 8 [cited 2014 June 5]. Available from: http://www.fda.gov/downloads/AdvisoryCommittees/CommitteesMeetingMaterials/ MedicalDevices/MedicalDevicesAdvisoryCommittee/EarNoseandThroatDevicesPanel/UCM373793.pdf
2. Cochlear Ltd. Cochlear™ Nucleus® Reliability Report, vol.12, 2014 February,[PDF-Internet] [as of February 24,2014] [cited 2014 Dec 2]. Available from: http://www.cochlear.com/wps/wcm/connect/intl/home/discover/cochlear-implants/nucleus-6/nucleus-implant-portfolio/reliability-report
3. Advanced Bionics. Advanced Bionics 2014 Cochlear ImplantDevice Reliability Reportte, HiRes 90K Supplier A Post-2005 modifications, [PDF-Internet] [as of May 2, 2014 cited 2014 Dec 2]. 028-M476-03. Available from: http://www.advancedbionics.com/content/dam/ab/Global/en_ce/documents/candidate/AB_Reliability_Report.pdf
4. [Image-Internet] MED-EL2014 July. [cited 2014 Dec 2]. Available from: www.medel.com/us/reliability-reporting
5. Battmer RD, O’Donoghue GM, Lenarz T. A multicenter study of device failure in European cochlear implant centres. Ear Hear 2007 Apr;28(2 Suppl):95S-99S.
6. Cullen RD, Fayad JN, Luxford WM,Buchman CA. Revisioncochlear implant surgery in children. Otol Neurotol 2008 Feb;29(2):214-20.
7. Battmer RD, Linz B, Lenarz T. A review of device failure in more than 23 years of clinical experience of a cochlear implant program with more than 3,400 implantees. Otol Neurotol 2009 Jun;30(4):455-63.
8. Cochlear Americas [Data on file] 2012 March.
9. Cochlear global registration, all devices, [Data on file].
10. 10. Shannon RV, Fu QJ, Galvin J. The number of spectral channels required for speech recognition depends on the difficulty of the listening situation. Acta Otolaryngol Suppl 2004 May;(552):50-4.
11. Briggs R et al. Implantation & Explantation Bone Study of the Nucleus 24 Contour with Softip. Poster presented at the 9th Symposium Cochlear Implants in Children, Washington D.C. April 24-26, 2003.
12. Pfingst BE, Bowling SA, Colesa DJ, et al. Cochlear infrastructure for electrical hearing. Hearing Research 2011 Nov;281(1-2):65-73.
13. Kwon BJ,van den Honert C. Dual-electrode pitch discrimination with sequential interleaved stimulation by cochlear implant users. Journal of the Acoustic Society of America, 2006;120(1).
14. Dowell R. Sixth Asia Pacific Symposium on Cochlear Implants and Related Sciences, 2007.Oct 30-Nov 2. Sydney, Australia.