Introducing the Cochlear Nucleus Profile Slim Modiolar (CI532)
THE DIFFERENCE IS HERE.
PROVEN PERIMODIOLAR ADVANTAGE
Perimodiolar placement means better hearing outcomes.
Independent research shows that electrode contacts positioned closer to the hearing nerve significantly improved hearing performance in patients with severe to profound hearing loss.1-4
Cochlear has over sixteen years of experience with perimodiolar electrodes.
Some of the advantages of perimodiolar electrodes are:
- Stimulation closest to the hearing nerve to deliver optimal hearing performance 1-4
- Cochlear's perimodiolar electrodes deliver focused stimulation and precise spread of excitation due to their closer proximity to the hearing nerve.5
- Near zero insertion forces - Research reveals near zero insertion forces with Cochlear's perimodiolar electrodes, meaning less trauma for patients and a lower impact on the delicate inner ear structures.6
HEAR THE DIFFERENCE
Deliver optimal hearing outcomes for patients with the electrode that provides consistent scala tympani placement and sits closest to the hearing nerve.
The design of the new CI532 Slim Modiolar Electrode is based on strong scientific foundations and on our experience with the previous generation of electrodes. With CI532, we have combined the benefits of a thin atraumatic electrode with the perimodiolar positioning to achieve the following outcomes:
- Optimal hearing performance1-4,9
- Consistent placement in the scala tympani9
- Closest to the hearing nerve11,12
Closest To The Hearing Nerve
A large independent multicenter study9 demonstrated proper positioning of the
Slim Modiolar Electrode close to the hearing nerve.
Image courtesy of RVEEH, Melbourne, Prof. Robert Briggs, 2016
“This electrode has the ability to stay in the appropriate scala of the inner ear.”
- Professor Bruce Gantz M.D.
SEE THE DIFFERENCE
Protect and preserve the delicate inner ear structures with the world’s thinnest full length perimodiolar electrode10
The CI532 Slim Modiolar Electrode is a very soft, flexible and atraumatic electrode designed to protect and preserve the delicate structures of the cochlea. With the world’s thinnest full length perimodiolar electrode CI532 takes up to 60% less volume in scala tympani.10
In one of the largest temporal bone studies, the Slim Modiolar Electrode has shown to preserve the delicate structures of the cochlea, with no intracochlear trauma in 98% of the specimens.11,12
“This electrode allows the stimulation point to get closer to the target neurons in the cochlea with less trauma to the structure of the cochlea.”
- Professor Thomas Roland M.D.
FEEL THE DIFFERENCE
Unique sheath based delivery system designed for smooth and easy insertion through most common surgical approaches
Built on the world’s thinnest receiver/stimulator Profile platform13, The Slim Modiolar Electrode features an innovative technique which consistently places the electrode into the scala tympani. The electrode offers the following features:
- Built for round window, extended round window or cochleostomy approaches14
- Designed for smooth and easy insertion
- Reloadable design
Contact your local area representative to learn more about
the CI532 Slim Modiolar training.
- Holden LK, Finley CC, Firszt JB, Holden TA, Brenner C, Potts LG, et al. Factors affecting open-set word recognition in adults with cochlear implants. Ear Hear.2013 May-Jun;34(3):342-60
- Esquia (2013): Esquia Medina, GN., Borel, S., Nguyen, Y., Ambert-Dahan, E., Ferrary, E., Sterkers, O., Bozorg Grayeli, A. Is Electrode-Modiolus Distance a Prognostic Factor for Hearing Performances after Cochlear Implant Surgery?. Audiol Neurotol. 2013;18:406–413. DOI: 10.1159/000354115.
-  Van der Beek (2005): van der Beek, FB., Boermans, PP., Verbist, BM., Briaire, JJ., Frijns, JH. Clinical evaluation of the Clarion CII HiFocus 1 with and without positioner. Ear and Hearing. 2005 Dec; 26(6):577-92.
- Dowell, R. Evidence about the effectiveness of cochlear implants for adults. Evidence based practice in audiology : evaluating interventions for children and adults with hearing impairment. Plural Publishing. 141-166. 2012.
- Cohen L, Richardson L, Saunders E, Cowan R. Spatial spread of neural excitation in cochlear implant recipients: comparison of improved ECAP method and psychophysical forward masking. Hearing Research 179 (2003); 72-87.
- Roland JT, A Model for Cochlear Implant Electrode Insertion and Force Evaluation: Results with a New Electrode Design and Insertion Technique, Laryngoscope 115: August 2005
- Cochlear™ Nucleus® Reliability Report, Volume 14, Feb 2016.
- Data on file, July 2016, Number of Perimodiolar Recipients.
- Data on file - CLTD5446: Clinical investigation of the Nucleus CI532 cochlear implant
- Data on file - Hi-Focus Mid-Scala Electrode brochure (028-M270-03). https://www.advancedbionics.com/content/dam/ab/Global/en_ce/documents/professional/HiFocusMid-Scala_Electrode_Brochure.pdf and Flex 2. http://s3.medel.com/downloadmanager/downloads/maestro_2013/en-GB/22676.pdf. Aug. 2016
- Data on file - CI532 Temporal Bone Usability Test Report, 2014 - Windchill 588021
- Data on file - EA32 Electrode Insertion Safety and Performance Study, 2015 - Windchill 415680
- Based on implant specification data from all FDA approved cochlear implant manufacturers May 2015
- Data on file - EMEA CI532 FEP 2015 - Windchill D806144