Our commitment to privacy
Cochlear Limited and its subsidiaries and affiliates (hereinafter referred to as “we”, “us”, “Cochlear” and “Cochlear Group”) are committed to protecting the privacy of your personal information in accordance with applicable privacy and data protection laws.
Cochlear Group complies with all national data privacy laws in the region.
The information we collect may include your:
- date of birth
- e-mail address
- phone number(s)
- fax number
- credit/debit card information (if you choose to transact with us)
- health data
- audiologist or other relevant health care professional(s)
- implantation details and history
It may also include:
- information where you heard about Cochlear Group
- any specific items you want to learn about
- product data (such as model and usage of implant, processor, remote assistant, software and accessories)
- product performance, service and reliability data
- photographs/images (where authorised by you)
- information you provide in “free text” boxes
We will use your personal information to:
- create a profile from the interactions we have with you to help us understand what information you might be interested in receiving
- send you information on Cochlear Group’s products, services, news and events, and, if you also consent to this, those of other carefully selected third parties. You may be contacted by post, or, when you have given us permission to do so, by telephone, e-mail, text messaging or other established electronic methods. You can inform us at any time if you no longer wish to receive any such information, by contacting us at email@example.com
- carry out market research and ask you to participate, without obligation, in surveys. You can inform us at any time if you prefer not to participate in these surveys by contacting us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- deal with any related queries or requests
How we disclose personal information
- to companies within Cochlear Group, and to those we engage to help us run our business (including those who may be based in other countries). We will comply with any applicable laws which require us to impose restrictions or standards on them to ensure they protect the information to no lesser standard than would apply to us
- to regulators or law enforcement agencies who request it (if we are satisfied it is appropriate to do so), or if we think it appropriate in order to protect our customers or our business
Additional uses and disclosures - Health Care Professionals
In addition to the information and disclosures referred to above, we collect for example your name and contact details so that we can inform the relevant individuals or organisations involved in the Cochlear Product User’s care or service that you are their health care professional.
Additional uses and disclosures - Health Care Professionals and Cochlear Product Users
In addition to the information and disclosures referred to above, we use information to:
- support and improve the use of the device (e.g. to enable fitting, activation, maintenance, management and medical liaison regarding the device) and any other of Cochlear’s products and services, including any User warranty rights
- inform and manage the maintenance of Cochlear products and services
- develop new products, services and events
- maintain a distribution record of Cochlear products
- collect and analyse product performance, service and reliability data
In accordance with applicable national laws, we may disclose Cochlear Product Users’ personal information, including sensitive personal information, to their parent, guardian or care giver (as applicable), clinic or hospital at which treatment is received, surgeon, audiologist, doctor, health insurer and other health service providers, as well as government regulators.
Personal information, including sensitive personal information, which is provided to Cochlear or which Cochlear obtains for the purpose of any ”Cochlear Product Forums” , “Share Your Story”, product purchases and service contracts, is used by Cochlear for long-term medical and market research to help enhance and improve its product services, events and websites. When sensitive personal information is involved, such as in ”Cochlear Product Forum”, “Share Your Story”, or use of product catalogue and service contracts, you will be given a more detailed explanation, as appropriate, at the time of providing the information.
“Cochlear Product Forum”
In some countries, “Cochlear Product Forums” are available as a public information and discussion group for individuals who are considering or who have received an implant from Cochlear. Participants send us the information about their experience with a Cochlear hearing solution that they want to share with others by e-mail. Cochlear facilitates the sharing of that information, for example through its website pages. Statements sent to “Cochlear Product Forums” are deemed to be the personal opinions of the writers and do not necessarily represent our opinion.
“Share Your Story”
“Share Your Story” is a Cochlear web page through which, in some countries, Cochlear Product Users can publicly share their stories and photos with friends, family, peers and candidates.
Purchases from product catalogue and service contracts
Residents in certain countries may order from our product catalogue and/or purchase service contracts or other offerings. These may become available in other countries. This data is collected to identify products and services and despatch or provide them to you.
Consents regarding your personal information (including sensitive personal information)
By submitting your details through a Cochlear website, you:
- unambiguously consent and agree to such processing.
We will ask for your permission if we would like to:
- contact you by e-mail, fax, telephone and/or SMS/MMS
- send you information on products and services, news and events from carefully selected third parties.
Cookies and similar technologies
We gather information from website use through "cookies" and similar technologies. Cookies are an element of data that is sent to your browser and stored on your system. You may be able to set your browser to refuse a cookie or to notify you when you receive a cookie, giving you the chance to decide whether or not to accept it.
We automatically track certain information such as your domain name and IP address, your browser version, your operating system, the URL you came from, the pages you visit within a website, and the URL to which you go upon leaving a website, and whether you return to the website. We use this information to monitor website performance, utilisation of features and services, traffic and demographic trends, and browser versions, to improve our website and services and tailor them to your interests. The information will be aggregated so that it does not identify a specific individual unless you make a specific query such as about the functioning of the website.
Links to other Websites
Cochlear Group stores personal information it collects on secure servers. Whilst it endeavours to take all appropriate measures, Cochlear Group cannot guarantee the security of personal information sent online and urges users to take every precaution to protect personal information while using the internet. Please bear this in mind, particularly if you are providing information which is sensitive or particularly private.
Cochlear recognises the need to adequately protect the privacy of all of its customers, especially the privacy of children. In circumstances where Cochlear interacts with younger users, Cochlear Group will obtain appropriate parental consent according to applicable data protection laws to ensure that parents and guardians are kept well informed and involved in all such interactions.
Accessing, updating and correcting personal information and withdrawing your consent to Cochlear to use your personal information
You can ask whether we hold your personal information and, subject to certain exceptions, request a copy of it. Examples of such exceptions are if this would have an unreasonable impact on other people’s privacy, or if it would interfere with an investigation of unlawful activity or regulatory functions. See “Contact Us” below. In accordance with applicable national laws, a fee may be payable.
You can request correction of any factual errors in the details we hold about you by e-mailing us at email@example.com. You can also revoke at any time and free of charge your consent(s) to us to send you information on, or inform you about, products, services, news and/or events. You can also inform us at any time if you prefer not to participate in market research surveys. See ‘Contact Us’ below.
We may need to flag your records with a suitable explanation rather than changing or deleting the information. To protect your privacy and security, we will also take reasonable steps to verify your identity before providing you with personal information or correcting/adding notes to our records. To assist us in keeping our records up to date, please notify us of any change in your contact details or preferences in the information you want to receive.
For information about your privacy in the Asia Pacific region, please go to the Asia Pacific section of our website: www.cochlear.com or contact: Privacy Officer, Cochlear Limited, 14 Mars Road, Lane Cove, NSW, 2006, Australia, Fax No. +61 2 9427 2962
For information about your privacy in the Americas, please go to the Americas section of our website: www.cochlear.com or contact: Privacy Officer, Cochlear Americas, 413059 E. Peakview Avenue, Centennial, CO 80111 USA, Fax No. +1 303 792 9025