Use your natural hearing with Hybrid Hearing
Get back the sounds you've been missing
with the smart all-in-one design
of Nucleus 6.
Nucleus 6 is capable of operating both as a hearing aid and a cochlear implant system simultaneously and seamlessly. Your natural hearing will be boosted by the hearing aid, and further augmented by your cochlear implant.
Sound can be categorised into two types:
- low frequency - providing the foundation and structure of sound like vowel sounds and the melody of speech - these are important for voice recognisation and detecting emotion.
- high frequency - providing the additional vital details of sound, helping to identify and differentiate words and improving quality and clarity - these are important for speech understanding, particularly in noisy situations.
At the time of choosing an implantable hearing solution you may still have some limited hearing.
All-in-one hearing aid and cochlear implant
The Cochlear Nucleus 6 System is designed to support as much of your natural hearing as possible. The all-in-one hearing aid and cochlear implant design will work simultaneously, interactively and seamlessly to improve your hearing.
How Hybrid hearing works
- The acoustic component, like a hearing aid, amplifies these sounds and sends them via the normal hearing pathway.
- At the same time, the processor converts high frequency sounds to digital information which is sent to the implant under the skin.
- The implant sends electrical signals down the electrode into the cochlea, stimulating the nerve fibres.
- This nerve response is sent to the brain, where it is combined with the response from the amplified sounds from the acoustic component into a perceived sound.
More information on how a cochlear implant works.
Please seek advice from your medical practitioner or health professional about treatments for hearing loss. They will be able to advise on a suitable solution for the hearing loss condition. All products should be used only as directed by your medical practitioner or health professional.
Not all products are available in all countries. Please contact your local Cochlear representative.